• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Tank - Return Line

cjreents

I'm in the midst of the M20 conversion and just realized that I don't have the "protruding hard line" on the fuel tank for the fuel return. Can I simply drill a hole in the tank then weld a hard fuel line with a 90 degree bend onto the tank?

I've been searching the forum for pics of tanks but have had little luck. If anyone has another suggestion, please let me know.

You can see the difference of the tanks on realoem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2552&mospid=47140&btnr=16_0382&hg=16&fg=05

Attached is a pic of my tank (poor quality, taken with phone). But as you can, see there is no return pipe on the tank next to the pump...

post-2599-13667598616451_thumb.jpg

I am in the process of converting my 02 to fuel injection and I got an intank fuel pump from a 318i or 325i, can't remember, but it has a return fuel pipe built in to the top flange. I have read on other post that it will fit the 02 tank. I would not weld on the fuel tank, it can be very dangerous even after washing the tank out. I've heard of it being done if you have an inert gas fill the tank like argon or CO2, but it's still risky.

71 2002 - Sold  :( 
63 A/H Sprite
73 MG Midget

You need a in tank pump/return/float from a 318is (1990-1991 E30 318is w/M42 engine, not the 318i model w/M10 engine). It comes with two pipes, one for fuel delivery one for return. Alternatively, you can have an extra pipe soldered (not welded) on the top of the pump in the picture, it should have a spot for the returned pipe but it is blocked off (soldered closed) at the VDO factory. Late model 318is pumps are identical to what you have but have the extra return pipe. Of course you can always weld a return pipe on the tank as a last effort.

Updated info:

E30 318is (must be an "is" w/ M42 engine) - Cost $250:

16141181075.jpg

Looks to me like an E30 325e will work as well - Cost $150:

16141179415.jpg

e30 325 e pump is low pressure. youll need an aux pump in line

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Just a tidbit of info here. Take a look at where the return line runs on the pump pictures. It goes to the bottom of the tank. If a return nipple is added to a tank, it should be a line that goes to the bottom inside the tank also. The Tii pick-up assembly is the same I believe with the return tube going to below the fuel level.

Reason is the falling fuel in the tank will cause a static charge and has the potential for ignition, maybe not in the tank but when you are about to fill the tank and take the cap off. A spark on the outside can blow the whole thing apart, and you too. Anyone around gas stations or around fuel storage tanks knows about the fill pipe.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.