• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solenoid voltage

flaminglip

I am having an intermitant problem starting my 76' 2002. When I turn the switch to the start position, all of the dash lights go dead and the solenoid doesnt fire..... just a quiet click. I push started the car and it fired up fine, then the engine started just fine for a few times.. then the same no start problem returned.

My buddy thought it might be a dead spot on the solenoid, so we pulled the starter and took it to autozone and had it tested. It fired up about 25 times, so the guy said it wasnt the problem.

The voltmeter read a little over 12V at the solenoid wire when the key was turned to start. ANY IDEAS? Take it to a starter rebuild guy to get a second oppinion ? Any chance the actual ignition switch has a short?

Thanks in advance.... you all are great!

The fact that the lights go out when your key is in the start position, but you still have full voltage going to the solenoid means that you have a bad connection between the battery and the rest of the electrical system of the car.

If you want to rule out the solenoid and starter, apply 12 volts to the spade terminal on the solenoid that is activated only when you start the engine. Just connect a wire from the positive battery terminal to the spade terminal on the starter. If the starter turns over, the problem is elsewhere. Check the wire heavy (about #10 ) red wire that runs from the + battery terminal to the ignition switch at both ends for corrosion or loose fit. Check all the terminals at the ignition switch for fit and corrosion.

Good luck.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

TobyB makes a good point. Do that first, it's the easiest thing to do.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

The fact that the lights go out when your key is in the start position

Just wanted to clarify, that the lights that go off are the dash/instrument lights not the headlights. Who knows, maybe theyre going off as well.

So if the wire hitting the solenoid is reading at 12V when I turn it to start and the solenoid/starter are not testing bad, what could it be? A ground on the solenoid?

Thanks for the advice.