• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magic pixie dust for removing terminal corrosion?

worzella

I searched the forum and got a few tips on cleaning up corroded electrical terminals in '02 wiring, but does anyone know of a substance that can be easily applied to contacts and connectors and magically pure 1975 metal is restored.

Ideally, something like a gel-based product that could be applied with a small brush in tight spots. I read about Caig De-Oxit which seems like something to try.

My current project is to "un-corrode" my left and right turn signal/running lights and since they are about $189 each to replace, I am highly motivated to do so.

Feel free to offer any suggestions if the magic pixie dust does not exist!

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Guest Anonymous

Unless you intend to re-plate, or re-tin, or even re-leaf the metal, you are not going to replace the corroded metal. A fiberglass brush has its place, but it seems like you really want a soft wire brush to fit on a dremel followed by a buffing wheel and rouge and maybe clear coat on the parts that show.

If you are discussing wiring, a lot depends upon the extent of the corrosion. Fairy Naval jelly should do the trick, but then you have to treat the area to prevent further corrosion. Since Fairy cola has phosphoric acid, but not as concentrated as Naval Jelly, then you might try it. Then there is fairy baking soda and even Fairy Barkeepers friend.

We bought a teeny tiny vial of this fancy NATO / Military / Aerospace spec anti-corrosion liquid for the shop. I believe it is for maintaining a clean connection - not for the actual restoration of corroded metal. Works well on gauge ground connectors and the millions of other connectors on modern BMWs. I *think* we got it from Wurth - and a tiny "superglue" sized bottle was $40 or something insane like that.

Just FYI.

You can purchase many of the correct electrical connectors from Mobile Tradition/BMW for our cars. The female connectors that lock in to headlight and voltage regulator plugs are "61 13 8 608 021" - and can be used anywhere else you need a female connector. (They have a tiny "spine" that locks them in the plugs but is nearly invisible) Check Maximillian's site for them in the 61 section. If not found on the 02 parts frames - try later (E28/E30) models in the 61 section. Now...the nice translucent/clear soft boots for these are still a mystery # for me.

Oh... and the recipe for magic Pixie dust for restoring a BMW 2002 includes: a) cash and B) time. The more you have of one - the less you need of the other!

Hope 'dis Helps!

Paul Wegweiser (retired fiche jockey)

post-2748-13667598247294_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Years ago when I worked on alot of boats electrical systems I used "Corrosion Block" just a drop on all the connections that would come in contact with the elements, while it didn't remove all the existing corrosion it did a fairly good job of preventing it. Now when I make any connections under the hood I put a drop on.

It not terribly expensive and most boat store should carry small bottles of it.

here is their sales pitch http://www.nocorrosion.com/car-electrical-wiring.htm

74 Golf

I've had pretty good luck bringing the bright shine of the original connector (on the brass connectors) with 'Etching" Mag wheel cleaner from Eagle One. The phosphoric acid reduces the oxide into shiny metal. Use fresh solution (after opening the bottle --- one week later the stuff didn't work so good.) Then make sure you neutralize with baking soda and flush with clear water. Don't want that acid lingering around. Do it with a nylon brush mounted in a plastic or wook handle. Excess metal in the brush wastes the strength of the acid. Naval Jelly has the same acid in it but it may have become ineffective due to sitting on the shelf. Gotta get the fresh stuff.