• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e-21 heat question

BillWilliams

Bill,

It may be that the cable has come unattached or the plastic that the cable attaches to has broken. He can look at the heater valve, under the hood, and see if the cable is still attached there. Move it manually, to the desired temperature, if he doesn't want to begin rooting around inside of a cold, plastic dash.

I have found that all of that fine stuff has a way of cracking and breaking on even a warm day. It's a bit simpler and more open on a non-A/C car, too, otherwise it's really crowded in there.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Bill,

Jess's, downtown location, is already open! they serve breakfast, too. it's really not too early for a 'dog though.

let me know what you find. the heat knob is on a North/South axis and moves the cable, attached to the rear, on an East/West axis. mostly plastic with a bit of metal. there just ain't no room. heat temperature cable runs through a rubber grommet type of thingy in the firewall. cable has a fixed cover and the internal wire does the moving.

i was just back up in MD, for about an hour, on this past Saturday, to pick up another car.....a Sahara 73 2002a that i bought from Cuttie a month or two ago.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

that protrudes through the dash.

If I remember correctly from rebuilding my E21's dash when I got the a/c back in operation a couple of years ago, the shafts are "D" shaped, and there are little spring clips that press into the shaft tunnel in the knob to retain the knob on the shaft. If the clips have come out or the knob is cracked internally, the knob won't turn the shaft and move the cable.

The knobs should be a pretty tight fit - if they pull off very easily, there's probably something wrong.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

that protrudes through the dash.

If I remember correctly from rebuilding my E21's dash when I got the a/c back in operation a couple of years ago, the shafts are "D" shaped, and there are little spring clips that press into the shaft tunnel in the knob to retain the knob on the shaft. If the clips have come out or the knob is cracked internally, the knob won't turn the shaft and move the cable.

The knobs should be a pretty tight fit - if they pull off very easily, there's probably something wrong.

This is exactly what happened to a couple of the switches in my 320is. You can either get new ones, or if you're in a pickle and need heat ASAP, just pull the switches off and turn them with your fingers/pliers.

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit