• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

side draft linkage question (Vid Included)

mtriple

So I took the car for a nice mountain drive and it was awesome getting there. The way back, The car felt a bit weird up top. Almost like the issue I had a few weeks back which was related to the linkage not pulling the throttle cable all the way past 5k rpm or 90 mph. Well, today was kind of inconsistent. At one point it was OK, at another, the juice wasn't enough up top with my foot landed on the throttle pedal.

I went ahead and cleaned my pump jets for good measures and lifted the car up to see whats with the linkage. I did not install the linage myself, but is this normal? Here is a clip that I just snapped and I hope I make sense.

My linkage is from Ireland and it is center pull cable.

th_CIMG6046.jpg

TIA

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

To much play. Way too much. The linkage principle is fine, but the upper bracket should be much closer to the lever (lower), and the angle should be improved. It will make a huge difference in feel. I hate any play in the throttle.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

i have a similar set up on my M2 but i made it myself. like lee stated the bracket up top should be closer. i made mine and attached it to pedal bucket bolts and theres about 3 inches of space between the 2. also correct the angle as that will literally wear thru your cable housing

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

i have a similar set up on my M2 but i made it myself. like lee stated the bracket up top should be closer. i made mine and attached it to pedal bucket bolts and theres about 3 inches of space between the 2. also correct the angle as that will literally wear thru your cable housing

Like Blunt said. My upper bracket is also bolted to the pedal box's bolts.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

As they said, the part where the cable enters the housing should be pointed directly to the throttle lever. Here's another problem with that setup depending on the quality of the cable. Moisture will get on the exposed cable and seep in. It will rust and make the cable expand to the point where it will rub in the housing and eventually stick.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

in a HD crash but I found this one.

it shows a bit of the area you are looking for.

I use a cable for the A4 set up. I bought the cable from Pegus Racing and I have my L bracket hooked to one of the transmission bolts.

bleedingclutch7.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Man them Webers sure know how to keep me busy. I might have to just tell me wife that I will go for a girlfriend instead of my hobby...

OK guys sorry to bug you again. I am still trying to trouble shoot this thing and here is my observation from today:

The car hesitates ONLY when getting on it after driving on the highway 80/90mph It seems to stutter in 4th gear.

I cleaned the pump jets/idle jets today..No Go. I test drive the car for 30 miles and it would do the same on the way back (hesitate). It seems that this also happens when I let go of the throttle for a second then continue. Something is wrong there! Could the linkage be an issue although it happens inconsistently?

FYI: I installed a fuel filter PRIOR to the electric fuel pump 3 weeks ago as I saw this advice somewhere on the forum.

TIA

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im