• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

plump pa plump pa plump goes the carb

new2da02

have a 38/38 weber...just got car, filled up w/ cheapest - lowest octane gas...is this why after i turn off car it trys to continue to run?? So, i need higher octane?? thanks much!

yep, put the Highest octane in it. Even some boost!!

Guest Anonymous

Friend you need to learn to use the search function. Look for posts addressing "dieseling"...

I don't expect your problem has a lot to do with octane. It bears mentioning, yet again, that octane is simply a measure of a fuel's resistance to preignition, or knock. You don't have a knock problem.

Hints: some potential issues are ignition dwell and timing, and effective fuel shutoff when the key is turned off. Now go look. I've only had one 2002 with a 38/38 and it ran pretty well.

IGNITION TIMING first please .

25 degrees BTDC at 1,500 rpm (" BALL " mark) in the inspection

hole at rear of motor - disconnect any vacuum hoses at distributor

if fitted while checking timing!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Is it just me and my car or does anyone else have trouble seeing the ball mark? I can see it and I know what it looks like, I just have a hard time getting my eye lined up to see into the hole. The lip where the hood latch rod is blocks my sight path.

"Common sense isn't common"

Italian tune-up time... after you get the timing and fuel mix set, take it out and drive it at 5000rpm for a good hour or two, blow out all that carbon. carbon heats up and becomes its own spark plug. good side is it increases compression ratio. bad side is it causes preignition/knock/run-on...

Do this ONLY with carbureted engines, NEVER with EFI. Good for carbon removal

While running a warmed up engine at faster than idle (2000-3000 rpm), sloooowly pour a small glass of water down the carburetor throat. Pour so the water is in a thin stream, no larger than a few mm in diameter. If the engine starts to stall, either quit pouring or run the revs up a bit.

The water will flash to steam in the combustion chamber and does a good job of blasting loose carbon from piston tops and cylinder head. Watch what comes out the tailpipe when you do this.

This is an old trick from the 20s and 30s, when engines carboned up much more than now due to wider intermal clearances, poorer quality gasoline and non-detergent oil.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge. As i said...i am in the process of learning cars...and lovin it. i have an E21...love it (but, have to sell now that i got my '69 2002). I LOVE the look of '02's and seem even simpler than my 320i. Glad to be a part of the '02 community! thanks again!

1972 BMW 2002 - M42

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge. As i said...i am in the process of learning cars...and lovin it. i have an E21...love it (but, have to sell now that i got my '69 2002). I LOVE the look of '02's and seem even simpler than my 320i. Glad to be a part of the '02 community! thanks again!

funny, today on cartalk on pbs radio this topic came up and they recommended using a spray bottle to meter the water intake. seems like a good idea and would eliminate the possibility of accidental hydro-lock which could be disasterous however unlikely...

• 1 month later...

That's my old daily driver you've got. The timing is on but there is a lot of carbon build up in the head. I always put it in 2nd and dumped the clutch to stop that. You need to pull the head and clean it up.

Call me if you've got any questions about the car...I know it well.

479-531-8408

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness