• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof question

jrags8

All:

Been around BMWs as long as I can remember, both on the road and on the race track. I have recently decided now is the time to restore a 2002 and picked one up a couple of weeks ago.

The sunroof on the project car opens, but scrapes the roof, which I think is due to the rust on the roof/seal adjustment. I can't get it closed all of the way now, but it raised a question...my old 325es sunroof opened in two directions - the whole roof would slide to the back, or the rear would go up 2"-3" to "vent" the interior.

Does the '76 2002 do this, or does it only open with the whole roof sliding to the back?

Thanks.

Jim R

Jim R.

as for your scraping sunroof, check the archives--there are several posts on how to adjust the sunroof panel's height so that it closes properly without touching anything.

If you can't find the postings, drop me an e-mail in a couple of days--I did a column on removing/replacing sunroof panels and how to adjust their fit some years ago in the Roundel.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

DOes it scrape the roof when closing or when shutting?

If it flips up when you're trying to close it, then most likely the spring tabs on the underside of the panel are not positioned correctly, these are what make it pop upward, fully closing it, when it hits the front opening. They create resistance to the roof flipping upward when you crank normally.

You can verify by opening the roof about 2" or so and popping the front edge of the headliner piece down and sliding it rearward.

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

• 2 weeks later...
DOes it scrape the roof when closing or when shutting?

If it flips up when you're trying to close it, then most likely the spring tabs on the underside of the panel are not positioned correctly, these are what make it pop upward, fully closing it, when it hits the front opening. They create resistance to the roof flipping upward when you crank normally.

You can verify by opening the roof about 2" or so and popping the front edge of the headliner piece down and sliding it rearward.

It does it both when opening and closing on the top of the roof, takes the paint off down to the primer. My thought was to try to adjust the height as mike suggests as I would like to avoid removing the headliner.

Jim R.