• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument panel restoration

dirk2602

I am looking at restoring an early instrument cluster and would like to know if the rectangular chrome on the edge of the cluster is a distinct removable part or if it is the edge of the cluster itself that is plated ?

Thanks.

post-1349-13667597754325_thumb.jpg

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

its plated dirk. not removable

Thanks Blunt.

So the "before-71" and the "after-71-to-73" are identical parts with the exception of the chromed edge ?

In a previous post I read that the instrument bezels are identical as well, except again for the plating.

This would mean that a post-71 panel can be restored to a pre-71 panel.

Dirk

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

No -

On the pic you have - pre 71 - there isn't a "Brake failure" warning light.

On the 71-73 there is a "brake failure" light.

Also - there is a slight difference on the length of the posts on the back of the speedo to fix the instruments into the dash. You can swap the back of the speedo to get it to work though.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

No -

Also - there is a slight difference on the length of the posts on the back of the speedo to fix the instruments into the dash. You can swap the back of the speedo to get it to work though.

Ken

Thanks for your input Ken, you raise an interesting point. The picture which I showed above is from a european 1600-2 model. which did not have the the brake failure warning light or the test button right above it.

The US catalogue from 1968 does show the brake failure warning light warning as well as the test button. European models had the brake failure light only after mid-71, but naver had the test button.

I am going to restore the dash support (the box which holds the instruments) of my 2002 Cabriolet to bring it back to its original look (chrome plated bezels and surround). The car now has the post-71-change-over dash support, i.e. without the chrome, and which is incorrect. One of the previous owners must have changed this part out. Perhaps it was done to meet the US safety requirements at time of import in the US in the late 70's ? I am inclined to removing that light. Authenticity over Safety, in this case.

Dirk

No -

Ken

Thanks for your input Ken, you raise an interesting point. The picture which I showed above is from a european 1600-2 model. which did not have the the brake failure warning light or the test button right above it.

The US catalogue from 1968 does show the brake failure warning light warning as well as the test button. European models had the brake failure light only after mid-71, but naver had the test button.

I am going to restore the dash support (the box which holds the instruments) of my 2002 Cabriolet to bring it back to its original look (chrome plated bezels and surround). The car now has the post-71-change-over dash support, i.e. without the chrome, and which is incorrect. One of the previous owners must have changed this part out. Perhaps it was done to meet the US safety requirements at time of import in the US in the late 70's ? I am inclined to removing that light. Authenticity over Safety, in this case.

Dirk

Only other difference I'm aware of is that almost exactly where you point to with 'this one' in your pic there are 2 extra screws that hold it to the upper dash. These can obviously be drilled into a later housing, or not bothered with as they don't really do much.

Love the early chrome dash - much more labour intensive, but they also rarely crack because of the 3 piece design.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I don't know the history on the brake light. One thing - you know it is connected to a float in the brake fluid bottle, so that if you run out of fluid, the contact is broken, and the light comes on.

Good luck! I like the old school bezels too...

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Chris, I will let the experts explain the exact process;

http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/restoration.htm

http://www.chrometechusa.com/autoplate.html

I haven't decided yet with which one I am going to go.

Dirk

If you only plan to do the surround edge...I would think you could get some silver leaf from a craft store & burnish it onto the edge.

John, that's a thought, and sure one worth trying. Not much to loose. A full professional resto of the panel is about $350 ! Just doing the bezels would certainly be a lot cheaper. Got to make sure though that the surround edge and the bezels will be the same finish.

Dirk