• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320 hubs for big brakes?

kubes

I am sure these has been asked before but my searches did not fin any hits.

I have two questions about 320 hubs and big brakes upgrade for tii struts.

1) What is the different between early 320 hubs and tii hubs?

2) How can early hubs be identified? I found a set, but they are still on the struts housings, marked only as 320 struts, unknown year.

Thanks

fit standard '02 spindles - the difference is in the size of the wheel bearings (tii and early E21 bearings are larger than standard '02 and late E21).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

if you want to know what ones you have there...

The early hubs have around a 60mm inner bearing bore

Late hubs have about a 50mm inner bearing bore

(that is if I'm reading the fische correctly)

outer bearing bore 45.23(early) 39.8(late)

Somebody else can confirm this for us here... You should be able to measure the diameter of the dust cap as the dust caps will be different sizes as well and should corespond with the outer-outside bearing diameter.

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS

How hard did you really search?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/44/32/

I read that FAQ and in fact its pretty well written, but it does not address my questions. Though Bill did answer one of them, Thanks Bill. I'll have the guy check the dust cap size.

Obtaining these parts on the east coast is a project onto its self. The p-n-ps here dont keep "such old stuff" (quoted from yard managers) around. I found 320i struts that have been removed from the car, but they don't know the year.

I was also thinking if it was possible to modify a tii hub to work with the e21 rotors?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous
I read that FAQ and in fact its pretty well written, but it does not address my questions. Though Bill did answer one of them, Thanks Bill. I'll have the guy check the dust cap size.

Obtaining these parts on the east coast is a project onto its self. The p-n-ps here dont keep "such old stuff" (quoted from yard managers) around. I found 320i struts that have been removed from the car, but they don't know the year.

I was also thinking if it was possible to modify a tii hub to work with the e21 rotors?

Thanks

I am sorry if I misunderstood your post. I have upgraded at least 4 different 02's (3 stock, 1 Tii). The difference in spindle size is very obvious (at least to me) so that the hubs will fit or they won't. There is NO in between.

I fail to understand why you are attempting to go the E21 route with Tii struts. Let me quote from the FAQ article: "For tii owners, the best option is to use the brakes from the e12 early 5-series sedan or e24 6-series coupe. They will fit on the stock tii spindles and require no other modification of the car." My point is that you will probably have better luck with finding these 5 series parts than the 3 series - and it may be less confusing for everyone.

hth

Maybe I am confused. Yes I have tii struts.

My understanding is that I'll need early (up 1979) e21 / 320 hubs. (Then the e12/e24 calipers)

From the FAQ

Parts Required for tii upgrade:

* New 1977 e21 Vented rotors

* Used e21 hubs up through 1979 (junkyard)

* New or Used e12/e24 up through 1981 calipers

Guest Anonymous

You are confusing me.

The 6cyl rotors and disks will fit. The problem you will face is the fact that they are FIVE lug versus the four lugs for the E21. The reason why the 77 E21 rotors are advantageous is that they fit on any E21 hub (regardless of hub spindle size). Be advised that depending upon the caliper placement, you may have interference with your wheels.

hth

pkubat, your understanding is correct (almost). I did the tii strut upgrade and my notes from several sources say the parts needed are:

tii struts

77 e21 / 320 hubs

77 e21 rotors

e12/e24 calipers thru 81

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Guest Anonymous

If the calipers are wider (to enable the use of vented rotors) they will protrude that much further - possibly interfering with the wheels.

If the calipers are wider (to enable the use of vented rotors) they will protrude that much further - possibly interfering with the wheels.

yep- I meed to get mywheel situation figured before I can to the swap because there is no room with the current set. The 320 units require you to either insert studs or use wheel bolts. Over all the are smaller in diameter than the tii hubs at the flange for clearance and I THINK the wheel flange is offset for the thickness of the rotor since it goes on the outside of the flange surface. Its all kind of fuzz as I haven't worked on my car in months.....

caliper / rotor width was not a problem for me. however, diameter or clearance of the caliper was a problem. my stock 13" 320 steel rims no longer fit. since I was going to 15" rims and had the rims, I had to switch rims after the conversion.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Guest Anonymous

I had no problem with the 14" E30 basketweaves on the Tii. But - the caliper to wheel clearance was a bit closer than I would have preferred. (Picture sliced bologna)

Equally important: I used screw in lug studs (hex head) with no threads to spare. With tightened lug bolts, the studs do not protrude beyond the head of the lug nuts. Unless you go for stock lug bolts, (which many folks do) and if you have the choice, it would be wise to get slightly longer lug studs. This could become significant should you need to use a spacer or a thicker wheel core.

I fail to understand why you are attempting to go the E21 route with Tii struts.

Because to get a vented rotor, you have to. The E21 uses a 'modern' method

of mounting discs- they sit on the outside of the hub.

The 2002, all years, uses a 'primitive' 'unenlightened' 'pain- in- the- ass' method

of mounting discs- they sit behind the hub.

If you looked at the E21 hub and the 2002 hub side by side, you'd wonder

'those fit on the same CAR????'

But they do.

And that's how you get the bigger vented rotor.

It only fits the E21 hub. It's very cool that it works...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous
I fail to understand why you are attempting to go the E21 route with Tii struts.
Because to get a vented rotor, you have to.t

Not if you don't mind 5-lug rotors as found in the E24. The responding poster seemed to be focusing on the idea of using Girling Calipers on a Tii. Otherwise, you are correct about everything except for your Mt. St. Helens predictions!