• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New retro look becker mexico 7942/48 (head unit)

Chris_1602

I've been eye-ing this thing for a while but still not sure whether it's worth it to spend up to $1400 for an integrated head unit(mP3, GPS, bluetooth, etc). I'm really curious why it's not popular in the US? I can only find this in the UK, Germany, and few European countries. Would it be the GPS system? Anyway, it'll look really great on an 02.

Check it out... http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/CAR+INFOTAINMENT-Mexico+7948-Overview.html

Most of the features are specific to European countries only and I can think of a lot of other ways to spend that much cash. Becker will rebuild an older unit but the pinstripes were specific to Mercedes which is where they look best. (my 2 cents only)

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

It's not on any North American Becker sites cause of the freq differences and GPS dataset is EU and GB only. Nice unit, but sick pricing! I must complement Becker NA on a great job on my new-in-a box Mexico. The radio came out of my 75 the day I bought it and installed a Sony removable. Perfect condition, but needed new rubber parts and a new front audio input. When I got it back last year it looked and worked brand new. Great product and service.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

curious to know how the becker sounds with the retrofitted aux-in. i've been considering the same, either through becker NA or some sellers on ebay. i'm assuming the amplification is just through the head unit, so not a lot of watts. is it enough for good sound? can an external amp still be added?

curious to know how the becker sounds with the retrofitted aux-in. i've been considering the same, either through becker NA or some sellers on ebay. i'm assuming the amplification is just through the head unit, so not a lot of watts. is it enough for good sound? can an external amp still be added?

The sound isn't great by modern standards. Not a lot of bass. The unit just doesn't put out that much power. Works just fine for listening to talk radio, but for music it leaves a lot to be desired. I was also considering adding an external amp, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA