• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Input needed

madpaddler

I am getting ready to fix the leak in the transmission where the speedo cable enters on my 73 A. Do any of you have any suggestions of items to attend to while i am in there for this procedure? Not talking spending very much or ANY more money, but while I have her up on stands for this, would like suggestions of things to check or "look" for. Thanks in advance.

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ

Guest Anonymous

Check the nuts and bolts on the exhaust hanger bracket which bolts to the transmission as well as the bushings for wear. Check the output shaft seal on the transmission as well as the shift shaft seal.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

Thanks, when I get the car up on the stands, I will takes some photos of what things look like and post them for additional input. Appreciate the info

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

2007 Toyota FJ

I installed new speedo bushing parts, 320i tranny mount, rear output shaft seal, reverse light switch and guibo on my car this year - after installing a 2002 Haus 4-speed shifter update kit.

Make sure to purchase a new speedo bushing and o-ring before trying to just replace the o-ring.

Place (4) high quality jackstands under the car as high as possible before doing this on the floor. You don't want to lie on cardboard for long periods, shuffling back and forth from below. I also positioned some old tires along the frame rails just in case.

I have more pics of the other part installs if you need them. Some have already been posted.

post-8235-13667597721648_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667597723221_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim, thanks for the pics and the tips... the PO put a red silicone bead around the cable to stop the drip, did not work..did you drain the tranny before pulling the speedo cable out?

Hal

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

2007 Toyota FJ

Hal,

I didn't have to drain the trans before removing the gear. There was a small amount of gear oil that dripped out, but not enough to create a puddle. This could be due to having the car level up on (4) jackstands, so if you only have the front up, it may leak more than mine did. The amount of leakage could also depend on the type of fluid used.

If you haven't done so already, make sure to inspect your guibo very closely for cracks and separations. Mine looked OK, but was broken after I removed the driveshaft (for other work).

post-8235-13667597770497_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"