• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 1600 Engine Questions

Yukon2002

Hi,

As a newbie to the FAQ, I must say that I am enjoying the exchanges.

As I mentioned before, just picked up a 1968 BMW 1600 and am hoping to get it up an running soon. Was last driven about 2 years ago going into the garage and there it sat ... until now!!

How do I know looking at the motor whether it is a 2002 or the original 1600 engine?

Also, will any 2002 motor fit into the 1600 on the chance that the current motor is not worth rebuilding? Or is it just as easy to find a 1600 block and rebuild parts?

Just basically trying to get a broad idea as to what is interchangeable.

Also, where do most folks go to get parts - weather stripping, trim, body parts, etc. I came across Ireland for the racing parts but what about routine things?

Will post some pics to Cardomain soon.

Cheers, Michael

give us the VIN number,

and the engine number stamped into the block - next to the timing

inspection hole - next to the starter motor - seen from above

look at the block under the exhaust manifold for 1.6 or 2.0

cast in to the block between the 3rd and 2nd cylinder -

a bright light and possible wipe down maybe needed to reveal the

numbers - and there willbe a time/date (month/year)

casting mark near the 1.6 / 2.0 telling you when that block was cast - very

close to assembly time if it's the original block matching the year of the car

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

according to the vin table your car is the 89th 1600 built for the USA and is a 67 model. is the dash the padded style or the chrome trimmed style? the number you list for the engine are casting, the serial number is stamped on the engine where it abbuts the transmission directly above the starter position, it run side to side (like the firewall). Anyway please post photos of the dash and engine compartment, also photos of the door strikers might be interesting. I think your car is early and therefore more desirable, the 2000 enginje is a direct replacement but if you are considering value, keeping the 1600, if present, is a better way to go, hopefully it is the block with a matching number.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Hi Mike - nice original car , please try and keep her that way as there's not too many 1600-2's left unmolested. You even have the original remote servo brake set-up which works great but usually gets dumped for a later arrangement due to scarcity of parts.

Is it normal for a US car of that year to have the vin plate on the dash??

1600ski.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg