• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Help Me Identify This BMW

lamaker

I just found this picture of my father (he passed away when I was young) with his first ever BMW...I think it is a 2002 and the picture was taken in Holland in the 70's...can anyone identify it...I now have a goal of finding one just like it to add to my BMW family...

Thanks in advance for all your help....

post-15712-13667596361602_thumb.jpg

post-15712-13667596362675_thumb.jpg

Robb Lamaker

Early 2002's also lacked the headrest. (my first 2002 was a 1968 and it lacked headrests and a hydraulic clutch). IIRC they were put on in about 1970. There really isn't a way to tell from those two pictures.

I can't find my McCarthy book, but I believe a 1502 was also made in the early years.

Nice pictures though

John N

Photography 101..never let anyone obstruct a clear view of you BMW:)

If it was a USA car, then I guess all you can say is that it was a pre-'72 2002 or 1600 because of the hubcaps and short rear bumper. Also, it doesn't have a rear marker light which might narrow it to a specific year?..but we're talking about Holland, so maybe not.

Don't worry, someone on this forum is probably going to know exactly what year (and maybe even week) that thing was built from obscure clues like its color combination and Cpillar emblems

Michael Deilke

Whidbey Island, Washington

206-714-3379

Guest Anonymous

You know what's funny on ALL those old pictures ? People are skinny !!!

We've turned into fat pigs worldwide in the last 30 years ;-)

First of all, it's a Euro car, so all bets are off in terms of stuff that was put on the US export cars vs Euro models...for example, red center tail lights on 68 and 69 cars were for the US only.

Full wheel covers means it's probably a 2002, as most Euro 1600s had hubcaps. And the wheel covers are frosted (painted silver vs polished) so that means it's probably a 68 or 69 (polished, unpainted wheel covers after 1970). And since they're one piece wheels covers, my guess would be a '69, as most 68 2002s had two piece wheel covers--a small hubcap with a surrounding, separate trim ring. And that trim ring was aluminum and had small rectangular openings--qute different appearance from the larger oval openings on the one piece wheel covers.

The small outside rear view mirror just visible means 68- mid 70. Also, the mirror is mounted back from the leading edge of the door--a practice that was started (I think) with the '68 models, so it's not a '67...

No bumper guards visible--they were options on Euro cars, but were mandatory $8 options on US cars of the era.

Wheels are 4.5" (note hubcap edge is flush with wheel edge) so it's not a ti.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say a Euro '69 2002.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I just talked to my mom about the photo...she said it was taken about 1968...she is not sure if my father bought it new or not...in all the photos of 1600's I am finding online, none of them have the BMW emblem on the side like this one....you all have been a great help...I am a E46 fanatic so I do not know much about earlier BMW's...

any yes, this car was purchased in Holland before my family moved the the states in the 80's....

Robb Lamaker

I just talked to my mom about the photo...she said it was taken about 1968...she is not sure if my father bought it new or not...in all the photos of 1600's I am finding online, none of them have the BMW emblem on the side like this one....you all have been a great help...I am a E46 fanatic so I do not know much about earlier BMW's...

any yes, this car was purchased in Holland before my family moved the the states in the 80's....

Someone added that emblem on. It's not factory for any variation of the 2002. Mike's post above seems to be spot on.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

Try to identify on the real picture if the last numer of the script is a "0" or a "2". If it is a "2" the car is a 2002, if it is a "0", the car is a 1600. I cannot read it from the scan.

The emblems on the C-pillars were not factory original in any country. The left one is slightly higher than the right one, definitely added by the owner. I had done the same on my '71 1600-2 back in the 70's, no not to hide the rust blisters, but the CS coupe had it, so I thought it was neat.

I doubt very much that the second picture was taken in the Netherlands, probably in the South of France when they were vacationing perhaps. We don't have that architectural style in the Netherlands with the rock walls and the terra-cotta half-barrel ramps. Netherlands is flat, the car is on a slope.

Beautiful pictures though. I wish I had some from that period.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

wow...good catch on the South of France picture...my mom informed me that is true...these pictures were taken right after my parents were married and they always took trips around Europe...

unfortuantly, I cannot read the #'s on the original as well...it is also blurry...

Thank you Nederlander....

Robb Lamaker

Guest Anonymous

Full wheel covers means it's probably a 2002, as most Euro 1600s had hubcaps. And the wheel covers are frosted (painted silver vs polished) so that means it's probably a 68 or 69 (polished, unpainted wheel covers after 1970). And since they're one piece wheels covers, my guess would be a '69, as most 68 2002s had two piece wheel covers--a small hubcap with a surrounding, separate trim ring.

I had a OE '71 1600 in the mid 70's that had had wheel trim rings and small hub caps, which I believe this car has also. If you look carefully at the hubcaps, there is is a distinct shadow around the edge suggesting a smaller hubcap, and therfore the wheel cover may be two pieces.

Roger

'72 Malaga