• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii clock in non-tii 02? opinions needed.

Hugh

I have a spare tii clock.

Would you cut open a good condition dash to install a tii clock? I suspect I'd need to use a holesaw and drill a big honkin hole in the dash.

I'm leaning against it. Has anyone ever done this before?

» Hugh

» Early 71 '02

Yea, I did it, but did not use the tii clock. I used a modern VDO 2" diameter clock in the stock tii location. It came out great!

I had to fabricate an angled spacer out of black PVC to take up the space between the face and the dash.

I don't have photos here at work, but I can take some if you are interested. Send me an email so I know were to sent the photos.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

I will take some photos and see if I can remember the parts. It has been a long time since I did it - 15 years or so.

If I do remember correctly, there is a depression on the backside of the dash cover that is in the same location as the tii. There already is a hole in the metal structure behind the dash itself.

I think I connected to the wiring from the instrument cluster for both constant power and lighting.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

i did it on my non tii 1976 dash.

there is indeed a cutout provided in the metal backing, so all you have to do is slide a exacto near where it supposed to be and follow the metal edge.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I have a spare tii clock.

Would you cut open a good condition dash to install a tii clock? I suspect I'd need to use a holesaw and drill a big honkin hole in the dash.

I'm leaning against it. Has anyone ever done this before?

It's what the factory should have done....added a clock to all 2002s..not just Tiis and Tis....Not sure if I'd cut up a good uncracked dash to add a clock..I'd rather put in a newer radio that has a clock on the display..but if you do not have a concern with originality go ahead. The only thing I would not do though, is use a Tii clock...most of them do not work at this point....Search ebay and look for a modern clock or better clock in similar style to the 02s gauges...I'm sure another car make had something similar..

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

tii clocks, VDO Hollywood for one. They put in a new quartz movement, you do not get the customary "clunk" every minute or so.

You can pick up power off of the back of the gauge cluster, I forget which lug, but a little work with a DMV, you can find it. That is how the tiis pick up power.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5