• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Petronix problem. Help Please

Dejammey

I installed a Pertronix 1847v on my 76 2002 the other day and can not get the car to run correct.

Once I installed the system into the car it would crank but not stay running. I the removed the Ballast Resistor from the car and ran they yellow ignition cable and the red Pertronix cable straight to the positive side of the coil. That got the car to run but very poorly. I drove the car down the street and it would run but the car would bog down if you gave it to much gas.

I put pictures below to give you a idea of what my setup looks like. If you have any ideas at what the problem might be it would be a big help.

Thanks,

post-2261-13667596060034_thumb.jpg

post-2261-13667596061202_thumb.jpg

post-2261-13667596062377_thumb.jpg

Yes, you're timing is off. Same thing happened to me. Get the car running by cranking up the idle screw so it will stay idling, then loosen the distributor nut and gently turn the distributor until you get a decently smooth idle. Then, at normal running temperature, do a more fine-grained timing with a timing light at the correct idle speed, etc.

Oh, and by all means, put that resistor back on, and make sure the wiring is as illustrated in the Pertronix instructions.

'71 Sahara (sold 2019)

'74 '02 (sold 1/09)

Yes, you're timing is off. Same thing happened to me. Get the car running by cranking up the idle screw so it will stay idling, then loosen the distributor nut and gently turn the distributor until you get a decently smooth idle. Then, at normal running temperature, do a more fine-grained timing with a timing light at the correct idle speed, etc.

Oh, and by all means, put that resistor back on, and make sure the wiring is as illustrated in the Pertronix instructions.

x3

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

My car wouldn't start after installing the Pertronix on my tii (about 1 year ago). I bypassed the ballast resistor like the instructions said, but it would only start after I reconnected the resistor. Then I noticed the resistor got extremely hot, so I put my old points and condensor back in.

Now running a new Bosch distributor with points (and stock resistor) and all is fine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

One other thing. I noticed you are running the rev-limiting rotor inside your distributor. Seems these rotors are not highly regarded in the 2002 community (even though my car has one). If your car starts fluttering at RPM's lower than your redline, you may want to change out the rotor to a standard one.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

With a blue coil, you do NOT NEED extra ballast. In fact on your '76 you now have DOUBLE ballest installed, because the wire feeding the coil also has a resistor built into it.

If you want to use your Bosch Blue coil:

1) Run a new wire direct from fuse position 12 to the +12V on the coil.

2) Hook up pertronix, be sure to re-route your leads. Having them stretch across the engine bay is just asking for a failure (broken wire).

3) Yes, you will need to reset your timing for sure as others have described.

The "hall effect" points replacement has been around for years, they've been proven to work.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net