• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clunkity, clunk, clunk

tsho

Hi all,

73 roundy...slowly working my way through the car, improving where I can.

I have a mysterious clunk that I can't identify. Sounds like it is coming from the front suspension, possibly pass side. I've had the car up on stands replacing brakes and brake lines, etc. and crawled around looking for the issue...couldn't find anything.

Sound only appears over bumps, and I can't replicate by bouncing on the front while stationary. My initial thoughts were: engine mount, loose front suspension components, bad bushings, broken spring. I've checked all of these as best I can and don't see a thing wrong. Most bushings have been replaced with PU, shocks seem fine, engine mounts look OK.

Any ideas, I'm nearly stumped and about to take it in so someone on a lift (and more knowledge can check it out)

Checked your flex disc, otherwise known as the guibo, that connects to the trans output shaft and the drive line, might be a possibilily.....steve

Guest Anonymous

loose: wheel bearings, lug nuts, brake caliper/bolt, steering box retaining bolts, battery. Worn: tie rod, drag link and steering linkage?

...wheel bearings, caliper bolts, and lug nuts I've checked and rechecked. The strut bearings and top nut are worth me looking at. I've never touched them, and am not familiar with them. The driver and pass sides look slightly different though, and I can see bearings, which doesn't seem right.

area of this site, "Suspension Rehab" then scroll about 1/3 of the way down until you see a drawing of the sequence of spacers, washers, etc.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,289061/

They MUST be complete and in this order or you will hear clunkity, clunk, clunk when you go over a bump.

You can not replicate this sound unless you go over a bump. You can see the sequence of washers and spacers unless you take it apart and look at it carefully.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5