• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii that needs work or STD 2002 thats sorted out?

moljeski

Ok fellow 02'ers, heres my dilema - I currently have a 1976 2002 that is perfectly reliable and runs awesome with a lot of pep. It has the following Pros - 5 speed conversion, weber 32/36 on rebuilt motor with port matched intake/exhaust, brand new header with heat shield, WORKING AC!!, brand new COMFY seats, new CD player adn 4 speaker, upgraded radiator, all bushings replaced (almost done with that), paint looks decent from 10 yards (buffed it out), just fixed speedo and odo.

These are the CONS - it's a 1976 with the god awful bumpers and the square lights, has a lot of surface rust on body (but POR15'd and painted over to match - can't see until closer than 10 yards or so, has hole rusted through one frame rail about the size of a 50 cent piece, no sunroof, drivers footwell has hole in it and so does spare tire well.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to trade for a 1972 2002 Tii. It has a rebuilt upgraded motor (cam, and head work, etc) and will scream. It is the exact body style I want, but needs paint for sure soon (its tan, mine's verona red), and doesn't have AC. It has some surface rust, but no structural rust. It has recaros in it, and generally is what I was looking for when I bought my 1976, but I really like AC for the NC summers (especially while driving around at work and having to meet clients), and there is the unkown problems that could be lurking on the Tii. So my question is, what would you all do? Trade or keep the 1976 that I could probably drive for 10 more years and never touch (although I can't seem to leave it alone anyway)?

1976 '02 - My first...

well.....

that's kinda a tough one to call. however, it sounds like you are willing and able to do some or all of your own wrenching.

if that's the case....

i'd make the trade. scratch that 'itch' while you can.

comfy seats, headers etc can all be replaced in time.

if the tii body is in better shape then the mechanical work is easier to deal with. i personally would NOT put AC into an 02. i had an 02 w/o A/C in atlanta. it did force me to change the color from Riviera to Baby Blue, though.

now, having said all this, your current car is a very good option to keep also. it sounds like you've personalized it to suit your needs and there's value in that too.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

You are facing exactly the same dilemma I faced 25 years ago; no AC in a '73 tii and I could not show up at business meetings a sweaty mess. I eventually traded the tii for a 320i with AC and regreted it for many years, but atleast was comfortable and presentable. I now have a '72 NON-tii as a weekend cruiser and with a 38/38 carb, and with a hotter cam (292) and higher compression pistons, the performance can appraoch a tii. My advice, FWIW, is keep the '76, pull the bumbers and replace them with old style, clean up the square tail lights (they are much safer) and upgrade the power plant. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

I'm seriously considering selling my motorhome to buy the second '02. Anybody want a classic GMC motorhome? Then I could take the exra cash and do all sorts of things... Very tempting, Hmm... I may have a sickness...

1976 '02 - My first...

with the Toronado drivetrain (Eleganza?), they're quite collectable and should bring good $$ if you sell.

Ask yourself, what will you get more pleasure from--the motor home or the tii? If you keep the 76, you'll have a nice reliable '02 to drive while you're making the 72 just what you want. When that happens, you can sell the '76. If you find you don't like the 72, there's always a market for a tii.

Just make sure you're not buying a money pit...tii's can get expensive to repair if something like the injector pump needs major work or all the injectors need replacing...

I'd say you're in a enviable position...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite