• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering wheels: anyone with lecarra or...

robsanab

does anyone have a lecarra steering wheel? pictures? do you like the quality, feel etc?

You always hear about momo and nardi... I'm just looking for other, maybe less expensive options. I have one of the nicer Grant signature series on my mustang and it's not bad but the quality and feel is not great.

I'm going for the vintage-ish 3 spoke with holes look. The only wheel I'm interested in that is different from this is the momo competition with it's perforated leather.

I have settled on leather and would like to go larger than 350mm if possible (I'm told going to a smaller wheel is fairly dramatic as to low speed steering effort, true for you?).

I really like the 370mm prototipo that Joel on this board is selling (anyone here have this? how do you like it?), but it's pretty pricey... lecarra has a similar looking one (available in 14" and 15") for half the price, plus their hubs are a little cheaper... but I do want quality and a nice thick grip.

thanks,

Rob

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

How timely, I bought this car with an older, pretty beat up lecarra wheel on it, and just replaced it this weekend with another Lecarra, the MK 4 "supreme" wheel.

http://www.charliegrafton.com/pics/2002/Granarot/lecarra/DSC_0095.JPG

I like it, leather is nice, feel is good, it's a 350mm wheel, for all of $142 bucks from Jegs. It looks pretty "period" in the car.

The picture is unresized, but it gives you a good idea of the overall size & look. The Roundel horn button was on the old wheel, it appears to be NLA from Lecarra.

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

FWIW, this is the old wheel. It appears to be something close to their Mark 8 or Mark 4 GT, but smaller than anything they offer on their site. It's a 320 mm wheel, and kind of obnoxious in low speed manuevers.

http://www.charliegrafton.com/pics/2002/Granarot/lecarra/DSC_0092.JPG

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

cool... that helps some

i think i like the smaller center hub of the protopito a little better, and the black finish, but this gives me something to compare.... thanks!

you know, now that you show that picture against the faux wood instrument cluster (which i have too), a wood wheel would blend in nicely... but I've never had a leather wheel and I think I'd prefer the feel... hmmmm? decisions, decisions.

post-1151-13667595769775_thumb.jpg

post-1151-13667595770595_thumb.jpg

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

...I am a wheel whore. Forget about me selling a wheel...its not my business...just a labor of love.

The LC wheels are really really nice...but I think they feel /look a bit british....

350 is too small for the 02 cockpit on a street car...but that s my opinion.

The Momo Comp wheel you speak of looks to modern for my tastes.....

The momo "retro" is nice...

Grants are a bit lacking in quality IMO...

I think there is a shortage of nice vintage wheels ...thats why I pursued the 370 mm.

I might sell the racey looking vintage 3 spoke I once posted...e me if you have any interest....