• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

water pump is in the fan....

TTyMiller

was a pain in the ass. Everthing was going well, the wife was out there helping me as always. She will get under that car before me!

So, back to the fan. I had a hard time lining up the 4 holes to get the fan back on because the fan fit too tight over the water pump, I had to hammer it off with baby hammer and everytime I tried to get it back on I had to baby hammer it. Thus the holes were no longer lined up and the fans fit was so tight that I could not turn one without the other.

Enter the drummel tool, I made the fans center hole biger so I could just slide it on and thus able to turn and aliging the holes. This is a crate engine and only a factory could have put that on.

Lesson learned is make the hole bigger if its too tight!

just take a couple of 20-25mm long 6x1 studs (or cut the heads off two bolts) and screw 'em inot the hub to align fan and hub as you're whanging the fan in place. Same trick for later BMWs with lug bolts vs nuts--use a headless bolt to hang the wheel from while you're aligning the other mounting holes.

FYI the fan-to-water pump fit has been a PITA for years---I remember having the same problem the first time I changed a water pump about 1974...make sure you got the fan on the correct way so it doesn't blow backwards!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's been a while, but it seems like you can also use a couple of longer bolts to get things started. I have lots of different length bolts from parted cars, so don't know what size.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport