• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth

72touring

Back in 1999, in the middle of the dotcom bubble, I was lucky to be working for a very generous fellow in San Francisco. For my birthday that year, he actually commissioned Ed ”Big Daddy” Roth (he knew that I was a huge fan) to do a portrait featuring my now gone/sold 1972 2002 Targa. It’s interesting to note his very non-2002 engine treatment, as well as the very process of “demonizing/monsterfying” a person (I didn’t recognize myself the first time I viewed the art). Other "interests" featured were mandolin (Ed thought a guitar would be better), and collecting cheap plastic snowdomes (Ed drew an expensive glass one). All in all, a very kind act by a former boss.

I had met Ed a few years earlier at Rat Fink Reunion held annually at Mooneyes in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Here’s a pic of Ed with my now 22-year-old son Jesse. I had always considered Ed to have been a big influence in my deciding to become a graphic designer.

Rest in peace, Ed...

post-1249-1366759532658_thumb.gif

post-1249-1366759532774_thumb.gif

Paul Huber

2000 Touring tii in 1/18 scale

That's just awesome, I've always wanted to see an Ed Roth vesion of a 2002. This made my day. I love Ed Roth and most people who see me wearing Rat Fink T-shirts have told me that I'm not even old enough to know who he is.... that's bullshit, his legend will live on forever in the automotive community. Thank you so much for sharing this post.

-Cyrus

I grew up in the suburb of Los Angeles (Maywood-Bell) where Ed had his shop. This was the 60's and everything he did was wayyyyy cool. His son was a schoolmate of mine and pretty quiet compared to dad. Some of my friends and I would go to his shop for pinstripeing of our cars and he would charge about $20 for the whole car...the only catch, you took what he wanted, no input on design and colors. One time he was stripeing my friends Jeep and when he was almost finished going all the way around the car with some outrageious design, he noticed the color he was using has changed hue as he mixed it as he went along. He got back to the point where the two joined and he hated it and grabbed a rag and wiped the car clean! And it looked awesome! Told us to come back another day.

Just a fond memory of good times past. Rat Fink forever!!!

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

I am totally jealous and must confess to my juvenile nature of having built and painted a classic standard RF model a few years ago.

At work we reforcast (RF) our budgets during the year.

Last month I sent our accountant a picture of a Rat Fink with a 3 edited

on the overalls so it was RF3.

Regards,

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown