• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resmogged and passed inspection!

dlhoovler

Well, the Orange Car is finally legal again. Aside from the rocker repairs I posted about earlier, I also needed to "resmog" the car. PA now has a rule that cars must display their original emissions equipment, regardless of whether there is a tailpipe check in their county. Butler County has no tailpipe check, but I still had to pass the visual. Thankfully, when Roy Hopkins desmogged the car 20 years ago or so, he saved everything--the air pump and bracket, all the hoses, the gulp valve, the vacuum lines, even the air pump belt. With a diagram I saved from here (probably posted by Creighton, if I had to guess), I was able to get everything hooked back up. And it ran all the way to the mechanic's and back. Probably one of the few '71 2002s out there with the emissions setup intact. Well, for a day or so... ;-)

Yes, I could avoid the emissions check by getting a modified or classic registration, but this was cheaper and I don't want the mileage restrictions or extra expense of those tags. And the plates are ugly, IMHO.

So if anyone wants tips on installing the emissions system on a '71, I can help out a little. Even took a couple of pictures for reference for next year. Uh, to make sure it's still hooked up correctly. Yeah, that's it... :-)

I'm looking forward to actually DRIVING the car now!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Amazing that you still had the stuff! Just desmogged my orange car here in NC (no such laws) and saved everything, too. Anyone need full set of smog equipment for a '76? Got air pump, EGR, thermal reactor exhaust manifold and all associated piping, hoses, etc.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

to cause cold stalling on acceleration--like pulling away from a stop sign before the engine was warmed up. That caused too many excitements for early in the morning, so I removed, plugged and reset everything...and it ran (and still runs) just fine.

Saved all my stuff too--a box in the basement just in case Ohio gets as goofy as PA. Fortunately emissions inspection in this part of the state were ruled illegal several years ago, and even then only went back 25 years.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yeah, it had a weird habit of hanging onto revs with the air pump on there, and it was having trouble idling on the way back from the shop (but that may have been the old bit of crap in the idle jet; it cleared itself). The car had been desmogged when the bushings failed and the holes in the aluminum air pump bracket ovalized. I just made my own bushings by wrapping electrical tape around the metal spacers to take up the slack for inspection (they didn't have to last long). I'm just glad all that junk was saved! It'll go in a neat box with the photos and diagrams... um, if it ever "falls" off again, that is. ;-)

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

(along with the original head, cam, and single bbl Solex). Never know when the nut jobs in the CA legislature (not to mention the ones that run the CA EPA and ARB) will decide that every vehicle that ever had any emissions gear on it will have to be included in our draconian bi-annual chassis dyno + visual emissions check.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)