• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stupid sun roof question

matter. If the sunroof is closed and stuck you might try disconnecting the cables from the roof panel itself, removing the panel to gain access (shop manual has detailed instructions on how to,) then remove the aluminum trim around the opening, exposing the cable. Then you can sparingly lubricate it with a little white grease--and lube the crank mechanism too--esp the gear.

If the sunroof can be opened and is just stiff, you can carefully crank it back and follow the above instructions to lube the cable.

The manual says "don't lubricate the cable" but a little white grease mixed with a little motor oil did wonders for a stiff sunroof on my '73.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There is another possibility, the drive unit for the sunroof (the part the crank handle attaches to) has an internal limiter mechanism! I had installed new cables with everything properly lubricated but the sunroof would only open about six inches after several times removing and reinstlling everything I took the drive unit apart, inside is a cam/rachet set-up that was designed so you couldn't crank the sunroof too far forward or backwards, if it is broken or out of phase the sunroof will not open fully. When possible I'll post pictures, I solved the problem by taking the drive mechanism apart and removing the ratchet limiter.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

when I had mine apart 8-9 years ago and completely forgot about it. The trick is not to mess with the crank when you have the sunroof panel out, or the cables disconnected. And the shop manual doesn't mention that limiter either.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

the gear stops at about 11-13 turns, so once you get it out and fix what you have to fix then slide sunroof all the way into roof, install gear and tighten it up both screws, put handle on and see if it works, if not pull handle and gear out, then turn the gear opposite way until it locks then re-install and try again. you may have to do this a few times to get a nice ending, where the closed roof ends with the handle in the cup. hope that helps,

it is actually harder to describe then to actually do the setup. take your time and it will come to you. if your gear seems to slip when you turn you will need a new gear.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD