• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilstiens filling up with water

peteinjp

My car see some usage in heavy rain and hits many puddles from time to time. The last 2 times I've pulled bilsteins out of the car when i compress them water comes out from the base. Since I have 2.5" springs I cannot fit the dust/water boots as I would like. I'm thinking of drilling a small weep hole in the bottom of the strut housing as well as the billy housing for drainage. Any thoughts about this issue.

Pete

Yeah, that happens to mine, too-

what I did was get some relatively large ducting (3"? 4"?)

and enclose the entire spring.

You can hang it easily off the camber plates, and trim it to length at

ride height.

It's not 100% successful, but now I only have to drain them every year

or so, and there's a lot less water when I do.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks guys- some good ideas for sure. I have an extra set of seals for the gland nuts but they don't last too long without dust boots. I'll try both the ducting and the o-ring and see how it goes. Toby- what kind of material are you using for cover?

It's the fiberglass duct that Pegasus sells-

www.pegasusautoracing.com.

It has a wire to stiffen it- you have to cut that back a bit, or it gets loose

and catches on things.

It's held up pretty well for the last 3 years...

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little note- I took an old inset apart (just the yellow tube off of the actual shock) to see where I might be able to drain then only to find that the bottom area with the bump stop was full of heavy oil/ grease. So no way to drain as the water will be floating on top and the grease will come out as well. Looking for some type off material to create a shield with today.

Toby- no luck finding the fiberglass ducting that you reffered to on the pegasus site but it gave me some ideas.......