• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Blanks NLA??? + Folding keys

johns1974

I went to 3 hardware stores and then to the BMW Dealer in Calabasas and they said that they can't get key blanks for my '74...

The dealer suggested I buy a whole new ignition because that comes with a key... Yeah, I'll get right on that...

My car has one of those wacky folding keys and if it breaks, I'm doomed. Any thoughts on where to get a new blank so I can get some copies cut? TIA...

BTW... Anyone know the history of the folding key? Why was that made? What's it for? What's the benefit? TIA!

'74 2002 (Non-Op)

'74 2002 (Good to go)

I tried to get a folding key last year. Apparently BMWNA has 4 in stock (in the system anyway) but ain't letting go of them. Pulling strings did not work either.

Regular Huf blanks are occasionally on Ebay, and I think a few vendors have them also.

Edit: like, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___New-BMW-2002-Key-Blank-for-Ignition-1967-76_W0QQitemZ200184676938QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Edit: buy from BLUNT ;-)

... I bought a cool folding key off Ebay last year. It was custom made from an original, but the head is silver, not plastic. It's cool, man!

IMG_0788.jpg

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I was told that folding keys were carried over from the motorcycles. When you use one on a motorcycle ignition, the rest of your keys hang nicely instead of sticking way out. Once BMW changed the ignition location, the folding key was no longer necessary. So I'm told.....

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

I was pleasantly surprised that my local locksmith had the Silca blanks for both ignition/doors and trunk locks right up on the wall under BMW... I had 2 sets made for less than 15 bucks. This was in Herndon, VA.

jason wolff

1956 Triumph TR3

1965 Triumph Spitfire Mk2

. . . "protect your KNEE!! ? your foot !

keep from tearing yer nutts off when you pass over

the ignition switch on yer way over the bars !

order your Non-folding keeys from any BMW dealer -

a dealer with brains and who cares.

Folding key is N.L.A.

BMWKEYSMC2002and2002fob.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

to protect your knee in case of a collision.

That's the spirit, JMcW -- what, am I rubbing off on you? We can't let that happen. It's a slippery slope -- next thing we know, you'll be posting up nekked roller skating pictures.

BLUNT - I might want one. I'll email you offline.

Blunt,

Do you have a photo of what the Dealer keys used to look like.

This is what I have. They say Huff on them. I don't know if these are what the Tii came with but, if you have the originals I would like a set of blanks please.

If you are for sure going to Windy fest, I'll pick them up there. If not, you know how to get a hold of me.

As always, Thanks again for the real deal Blunt.

nt

Got to go, I hear the tone going off and the Coast Guard copter is in the air. Some tourist must of thrown his wife overboard or hit the pier with his boat.

We lose at least two a summer on the water and at least two a year on Silver Lake Sand Dunes….. See ya. Sorry have to go…..

100_3893.jpg

Blunt,

This is what I have. They say Huff on them. I don't know if these are what the Tii came with but, if you have the originals I would like a set of blanks please.

If you are for sure going to Windy fest, I'll pick them up there. If not, you know how to get a hold of me.

nt

Got to go, I hear the tone going off and the Coast Guard copter is in the air. Some tourist must of thrown his wife overboard or hit the pier with his boat.

We lose at least two a summer on the water and at least two a year on Silver Lake Sand Dunes….. See ya. Sorry have to go…..

100_3893.jpg

what you get from BMW now is the huf blanks. the last 5 or 6 sets ive sold have been huf and they are pretty expensive. 12 bucks maybe? i have to check. i did get a set for my car with the roundel on them but i think it was a fluke. there are also 2 different trunk blanks

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Those are most likely originals since they are stamped with the tumbler codes.

Cheers,

Ray

Blunt,

nt

100_3893.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.