• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Pedal

Jack

I have only a few thousand miles on a new gas pedal with the new plastic bushing, with the plastic tape to reduce friction. The pedal has become notchie. Not smooth at all. I looked it over this evening and the plastic bushing on the linkage rod end (inserted into the pedal) is all ready gone. Anyone else seeing this? Is there a better solution?

Part two of this is of course that I have another new plastic bushing for the pedal. It isn't where it is supposed to be, so I guess I'll find it when I get the thing fixed!

Only advice I can give is make sure the bushing you have is the white teflon like material, not the black plastic one like I got from an OEM vendor one time.

Also you just about have to rotate the bushing every now & then, they always wear down a flat spot, even if you lube it per factory maintenance schedule. I always buy 3, 1 to replace, then I have 2 to loose one, & still have one.

2002 owner since 1980

are using Slick Tape on the pedal. Have you lubed the rest of the pedal linkage? Where the pedal shaft passes through the pedal bucket is a prime spot to get rusty, and the vertical rod and bellcrank--especially where it goes into the firewall socket--are also spots to be lubricated periodically either with fairly heavy oil or thin white grease...

I've been using Slick Tape on my accelerator pedals for 2-3 years now and it works fine without a drop of lubricant.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i found an old locked post here from 2004 talking about someone possibly making these bushings out of delrin? did that ever happen/are they still available? what is this "slick tape" called at the hardware store? how thick is it?

I'm in the same boat. Recently replaced my gas pedal and bushing and 1 month later it's not very smooth. Would like to know more about this "Slick Tape" Mike is talking about. Where is it sold and where exactly do you put it, on the rear of the pedal or wrapped around the bushing? Thanks much

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

69 Datsun SRL 311 Roadster

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer