• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting an 02 to 5 lug?

sim02

Hey guys, im thinking of changing my 2002 to a 5 lug because soon i will be starting my m20 conversion and im going to need some bigger brakes for the converison, so i thought if im going to do that, i might aswell make it a 5 lug, What parts would i need for this conversion that wouldnt be a hassle to put in the 02?

Your helpo would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Sim

sure - just visit any BEEMER Bone Yard and remove the 4 suspension corners

off a first Five series, and bolt on to yer 02 - then

you have yer BIG brakes and 5-lug down the road.

p.s. - it ain't no cakewalk

RandyMcCafferty530i_03.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

sure - just visit any BEEMER Bone Yard and remove the 4 suspension corners

off a first Five series, and bolt on to yer 02 - then

you have yer BIG brakes and 5-lug down the road.

p.s. - it ain't no cakewalk

RandyMcCafferty530i_03.jpg

Whats the difficult bit?

p.s. wont e28 suspension corners fit?

Cheers

Sim

cake - or not-cake project :

its not quite a bolt on conversion - but it has been done by

others in europe (mainly for racing applications) -and I'll let

others here go into the details . . . . . . .

anything is possible with time, tools, patience,

and more help from yer friends.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hey guys, im thinking of changing my 2002 to a 5 lug because soon i will be starting my m20 conversion and im going to need some bigger brakes for the converison, so i thought if im going to do that, i might aswell make it a 5 lug, What parts would i need for this conversion that wouldnt be a hassle to put in the 02?

why add extra unsprung weight? see lee's massive website (do a search) for um, massive brakes that fit 02 corners. :)

I wouldn't touch the lugs. Do the big brake upgrade and use 4 lug wheels. Maybe use some coilovers or just stiffer springs up front, but I wouldn't do anything drastic.

Others will probably chime in here, but you don't need 5 lug wheels for an M20.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

There's no real performance reason to go with a 5-lug unless your HP's gonna be huge. Only real reason I can think of is if you got a sweet set of 5-lug wheels already you want to use...

In which case you could try 4-to-5 lug adapters (which ain't cheap).

http://www.skulte.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/56

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120200878755&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=300184100478&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

There's no real performance reason to go with a 5-lug unless your HP's gonna be huge. Only real reason I can think of is if you got a sweet set of 5-lug wheels already you want to use...

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120200878755&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=300184100478&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

Tom

\

Yes i have a set of the rims attached in the image, yes i know that you don't need it but i thought if you can do it why not do it, the car is going to be hitting around 300HP +, the problem is with the Turbo flares there are no nice 4 lug rims that make up the offset. Thats why i htought i would put some wide rims.

Cheers

Sim

Tom

Paul Cain had his own machined....I suppose you could have that done to match 5 lug wheels if you wanted.

7.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

but i thought if you can do it why not do it, the car is going to be hitting around 300HP +

i respectfully submit you are hot rodding the wrong car. 300 hp is beyond the usefulness of the '02 platform.

a man's gotta know his (cars') limitations.

i respectfully submit you are hot rodding the wrong car. 300 hp is beyond the usefulness of the '02 platform.

There are a couple of cars on this forum already close to 300 crank hp - maybe more. With supporting modifications its achievable and usable.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Wow, what a close-minded asinine comment. Maybe you should enlighten yourself with some of the 1000+hp 02's the Swedes are putting out.

1990 325i

1976 2002

Wow, what a close-minded asinine comment. Maybe you should enlighten yourself with some of the 1000+hp 02's the Swedes are putting out.

C'mon, man. We've all got our opinions and he submitted his respectfully.

ClayW

If your concerned about Bigger brakes, I'm sure just the Volvo upgrade, w/e21 drums will work fine for street.

If your looking for a sick and very slick track setup, you can't go wrong with Lee's Massive kit.

I have thought about doing a 5-lug conversion for myself, but only for the sole purpose of having a wider selection of rims that are out there, not for bigger brakes.

JMHO.

Cheers.

MOE

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

Pete McHenry converted his tii to 5 lugs back in the mid to later 80's when he put the six cylinder in it. It was at the V@V a couple of weeks ago (now with M3 engine) but the present owner didn't know anything about the conversion. I seem to remember Pete used Bavaria front parts because he wanted solid rotors and not vented and he kept the rear brakes drums using parts from a 2800 cs. I'm not clear as to what all was involved. Perhaps you could contact him and find out how it was done. If you do, please let us know what he says.

Steve.