• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overhauling heater valve?

Arshloch

Here are a couple of pics of disassembled earlier style valves, which are substantially the same as the newer valves WRT the O ring and sealing. The newer valves have a plastic insert, but use an O ring to seal the top. I have found that the O rings can be matched closely enough at the local hardware store to do the job. Sorry, these pics don't show exactly how the O ring mounts in the top, but there is a groove around the edge that seals the top to the body of the valve.

Disassembling the valve can be a challenge if the screws are seized. You will probably have to use an impact driver to get them loose.

post-185-13667587737769_thumb.jpg

post-185-13667587738992_thumb.jpg

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

If you drill the heads out of the countersunk screws, you can get the cap off with enough room to grab the rest of the screw with a pair of vise grips and pull out the seized portion of the screw. Then, just take the whole thing to the hardware store to get O-rings and new screws. My local ACE had short stubby stainless phillips screws in the metric drawers that fit perfectly.

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

One note. The heater valve does not use an o-ring. It uses a quad ring. It is like an o-ring but has 4 sealing sides. An o-ring will work at first but leak shortly after.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

In the absence of a quad ring of the right size (probably could be found from an Internet source...), I have used hardware store O rings that were slightly oversized and lubed them well with synthetic rubber/plastic friendly grease. Have rebuilt 8 or 9 of these valves over the last few years and AFAIK, none of them has leaked. My first was done for my own car 8 years ago and is that valve is still in service.

Also, I have never been unable to get the screws out with an impact driver, even when severely rusted/corroded. When reinstalling, use a dab of antiseize on each, and you will never have that problem again.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

The heater valve does not use an o-ring. It uses a quad ring.

I was trying to think of what a square o-ring was called.

Thanks

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades