• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Questions

uxoman

What distributor should I use for a 1975 2002 w/auto tranny that has a 1974 engine with all the smog equipment from the 1975 engine?

The reason I ask is that I believe I have a timing issue with the above car. When the car is properly timed, the engine starts easily, but pings when driven. If I turn the distributor to where the engine doesn’t ping it is hard to start.

What differences are there between a '74 dizzy and a '75 dizzy? The dizzy I have in the car now is a 008.

Phil/Bomb Guy in Colorado

2002 E46M3

2002 E46 325 xi

1991 E30 325ix

1970 2002 M2

1966 Mustang

Hi Phil,

Check the attached 2002 Distributor listing from Bosch. Unless your 008 dizzy is the tii 151 008 mechanical dist, it looks like it should be OK (it shows the Euro 180 008 for automatic 02s produced from 73 through 75.) For a US automatic, it shows either the 168 013 or the 170 164 were stock.

I don't have the advance/retard specs offhand for the 180 008 (or how it compares to the 168 013 or 170 164), but I'll see if I can come up with something... (Maybe US emissions may have caused a diff?)

HTH,

Tom

post-1565-13667586529861_thumb.jpg

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

set it using a timing light - "BALL" mark in the trans

inspection hole, at 2,300 rpm, and with the vacuum hose

to the distributor disconnected while setting

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

If it helps, my '76 smogger came with a dual action distributor advance unit. There is a retard circuit that keeps the timing from advancing at when the engine is cold. This dual action system gives a broader advance than the standard unit.

"the ignition on these cars is so retarded...."

Phil,

OK, the 180 008 dist that came on late Euro automatics has the following advance characteristics:

It is a mechanical advance dizzy with a vacuum retard circuit. It has a full advance of 39 deg at 2700 rpm (both crankshaft numbers, as measured on the vehicle). The vacuum retard circuit provides up to 14 deg of retard at 13.58 of vacuum. There is no vacuum advance circuit.

Make sure your dizzy isn't acting up - that your stator plate isn't frozen up and it can move relative to the rotor when the vacuum is applied. Otherwise the vacuum retard can't work.

Some vacuum advance/retard info, if you're curious:

http://www.tr6web.com/Documents/tr6/vacuumadvance.html

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/howto/vac.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing#Vacuum_Timing_Advance

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

The standard Bosch dizzy wears out in about 5 years

or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

(ok, I'm lying about the 5 years. But they don't last nearly as long

as the engine...)

Yours might just be worn out (advance pivots, springs, etc...)

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL