• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early style gas cap key blanks

Mike Self

Bill, Peter & Jim: your keys go in the mail Sunday. For others who may need 'em...see the post on the parts forum.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Bill, Peter & Jim: your keys go in the mail Sunday. For others who may need 'em...see the post on the parts forum.

cheers

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Mike,

Question for you, maybe you know. I have a locking cap, but no key. If I get a key blank, is the cap itself able to be disassembled and recylindered/rekeyed? (looking at my cap, its not apparent it can be taken apart.)

TIA,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hi Mike,

Question for you, maybe you know. I have a locking cap, but no key. If I get a key blank, is the cap itself able to be disassembled and recylindered/rekeyed? (looking at my cap, its not apparent it can be taken apart.)

TIA,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I believe these are not the same exact ones Mike is referring to. My old cap have some kind of a cover that swivels on top of the Key hole. Much cooler than the ones currently being sold. I think I will actually go back to the old style and order a key from Mike.

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

I believe these are not the same exact ones Mike is referring to. My old cap have some kind of a cover that swivels on top of the Key hole. Much cooler than the ones currently being sold. I think I will actually go back to the old style and order a key from Mike.

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

It's difficult. Once inside, the lock is simply removed. The difficult part is removing the rearmost backing plate. It is held in by a tight fitting press fit around the perimeter. You need a tool such as a collet to grab the middle while the outer rim is pryed out. I drilled a 1/4" hole in this rear plate and screwed a bolt into to try to remove it, Didn't really work, then used a metal rod with a bend at the end tor pull the plate out. It worked but plate was deformed and there was a hole in plate. Metal can be straightened, then hole filled with weld .... interior is filled with a type of parchment that is glued together....pull slowly or it rips this stuff. And if you try the bolt through the plate method, don't let the bottom of the bolt put a ding in the outer surface of the gas cap ... it shows through!

It's difficult. Once inside, the lock is simply removed. The difficult part is removing the rearmost backing plate. It is held in by a tight fitting press fit around the perimeter. You need a tool such as a collet to grab the middle while the outer rim is pryed out. I drilled a 1/4" hole in this rear plate and screwed a bolt into to try to remove it, Didn't really work, then used a metal rod with a bend at the end tor pull the plate out. It worked but plate was deformed and there was a hole in plate. Metal can be straightened, then hole filled with weld .... interior is filled with a type of parchment that is glued together....pull slowly or it rips this stuff. And if you try the bolt through the plate method, don't let the bottom of the bolt put a ding in the outer surface of the gas cap ... it shows through!

dismantle the lock so long as he has the correct key blank.

Cheers

mike

dismantle the lock so long as he has the correct key blank.

Cheers

mike