• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 2002 with engine swap Value question!!!

Hello,

I have aquired a clean 74 2002, actually really clean but a little lame on the motor side. Since these cars at in my opinion; if they are not already a collector car would adding the S14 motor degrade from the value or possible increase the value. The car is not a tii or any special variety just a nice example.

Thanks,

Tyler

1974 2002 Clean

1974 2002 Fixing up to sell

Hello,

I have aquired a clean 74 2002, actually really clean but a little lame on the motor side. Since these cars at in my opinion; if they are not already a collector car would adding the S14 motor degrade from the value or possible increase the value. The car is not a tii or any special variety just a nice example.

Thanks,

Tyler

1974 2002 Clean

It obviously wouldn't hurt the car, throwing in an S14. These engines alone are worth more than most '02s. However, you can't just hang a 200hp engine in a car built to handle 100hp. So you will have to upgrade your brakes, shocks, sway bars (preferably), wheels, get an LSD and whatever else to make it handle proper.

This of course is expensive and time consuming, and then I'm not even taking the trouble of modifying and installing the S14 in account.

I also don't know what condition your S14 is in, but they need quite a high level of TLC, and spare parts are expensive.

But besides these buts and ifs, it's the best engine upgrade out there!

PS - if you are going for the extensive upgrades, loose the US spec bumpers along the way. ;)

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

It obviously wouldn't hurt the car, throwing in an S14. These engines alone are worth more than most '02s. However, you can't just hang a 200hp engine in a car built to handle 100hp. So you will have to upgrade your brakes, shocks, sway bars (preferably), wheels, get an LSD and whatever else to make it handle proper.

This of course is expensive and time consuming, and then I'm not even taking the trouble of modifying and installing the S14 in account.

I also don't know what condition your S14 is in, but they need quite a high level of TLC, and spare parts are expensive.

But besides these buts and ifs, it's the best engine upgrade out there!

PS - if you are going for the extensive upgrades, loose the US spec bumpers along the way. ;)

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

I have seen 02's with S14's go for less than $8k (translation: you will not get your money back) Regardless of the engine, the market is soft for 02's. They are NOT collector cars (and I remain pessimistic about their prospect), they are still giving them away for free around here!

FAQ Member # 91

I have seen 02's with S14's go for less than $8k (translation: you will not get your money back) Regardless of the engine, the market is soft for 02's. They are NOT collector cars (and I remain pessimistic about their prospect), they are still giving them away for free around here!

FAQ Member # 91

If you're hoping to make a little $$ (which may or may not happen) when you sell your '02 in a few years, you'll stand a better chance if it's original vs heavily modified. Those who want a really modified car usually want to do it themselves, vs buying someone else's project, complete or not. This is true with almost any "antique" or collectible car. And if your car is a nice original, it's worth keeping that way; completely original 2002s aren't very common.

If you want to build a radical car, start with one that's already been messed with.

But remember, it's your car, and you bought it to have fun with, so...go have fun.

mike

PS--'02s may still be common in CA, but here in Salt Country they're not--unless they're rusted out hulks or carefully preserved summer drivers...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you're hoping to make a little $$ (which may or may not happen) when you sell your '02 in a few years, you'll stand a better chance if it's original vs heavily modified. Those who want a really modified car usually want to do it themselves, vs buying someone else's project, complete or not. This is true with almost any "antique" or collectible car. And if your car is a nice original, it's worth keeping that way; completely original 2002s aren't very common.

If you want to build a radical car, start with one that's already been messed with.

But remember, it's your car, and you bought it to have fun with, so...go have fun.

mike

PS--'02s may still be common in CA, but here in Salt Country they're not--unless they're rusted out hulks or carefully preserved summer drivers...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

However, if you want to put an S14 in a car for fun,

you're right to use the later car-

it's slightly stouter, and somewhat less likely

to become a 'collector'...

Do it and have fun.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

However, if you want to put an S14 in a car for fun,

you're right to use the later car-

it's slightly stouter, and somewhat less likely

to become a 'collector'...

Do it and have fun.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks guys. I may keep it stock, it is up in the air right now. I do have the motor and vast expereince with the S14 but I did buy the car keep for down the road. I have one other that I planned to sell but maybe it should be the donor car (Bigger shop)

Thanks again.

Tyler

1974 2002 Clean

Thanks guys. I may keep it stock, it is up in the air right now. I do have the motor and vast expereince with the S14 but I did buy the car keep for down the road. I have one other that I planned to sell but maybe it should be the donor car (Bigger shop)

Thanks again.

Tyler

1974 2002 Clean