• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

s14 starter; where to buy?

Andy74tii

I have a '74 tii, and it's got the old type of starter on it. I have looked in the forum and found a fair amount of information on the S14 starter (M3) and also found that in some cases it looks like the new replacement for the old type starter is similar to the S14. What are the differences between the "new" standard starter and the S14 starter, and where is the best place to get either one? THANKS!

FAQ Member #126

I suggest buying from someone who supports the 2002 community; you know who they are. Starters are heavy, so factor in shipping charges.

The Bosch part numbers are SR71X (original) and SR440X (S14). If you order an SR71X, you will probably get an SR440X. Bosch is continually consolidating its inventory and eliminating older models that can be replaced with newer models.

The SR440X is smaller, lighter, and more powerful. Because the case is shorter, the front end of it does not reach the bracket between the throttle body and the block on a tii. That's not a problem.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I suggest buying from someone who supports the 2002 community; you know who they are. Starters are heavy, so factor in shipping charges.

The Bosch part numbers are SR71X (original) and SR440X (S14). If you order an SR71X, you will probably get an SR440X. Bosch is continually consolidating its inventory and eliminating older models that can be replaced with newer models.

The SR440X is smaller, lighter, and more powerful. Because the case is shorter, the front end of it does not reach the bracket between the throttle body and the block on a tii. That's not a problem.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I have been looking for one there with no luck, where did you find yours?

J.E.

Are you talking to me? if so, I guess I searched e-bay at the right time. The seller had a best offer option and he accepted my offer. Awesome upgrade....the car starts right up now and it does not sound "prehistoric"

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I have been looking for one there with no luck, where did you find yours?

J.E.

Are you talking to me? if so, I guess I searched e-bay at the right time. The seller had a best offer option and he accepted my offer. Awesome upgrade....the car starts right up now and it does not sound "prehistoric"

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

at 136 bucks for the 440x and 94 bucks for the 71x. I ordered the 71x about two months ago and got the small 440x sized starter, but whether it's the same as the 440x I don't know. Note the big difference in core charges between the two. It's possible they really don't want the old starter cores back anymore as for 20 bucks it's not worth sending back considering postage cost, and that in the future all rebuilt starters will have the ridiculous core charge. After 35 years of '02sville, the sound is weird and I'll never get used to it.

SR440X

Bosch (OE Reman)

Starter

1 per car. Bosch Ultimate Protection Plan Exclusive 24 Month Towing - 1-year replacement warranty, 2-year roadside assistance.

$182.50 list

$61.00 core charge

$135.82 price

SR71X

Bosch (OE Reman)

Starter

1 per car. Bosch Ultimate Protection Plan Exclusive 24 Month Towing - 1-year replacement warranty, 2-year roadside assistance.

$165.75 list

$20.00 core charge

$94.14 price

at 136 bucks for the 440x and 94 bucks for the 71x. I ordered the 71x about two months ago and got the small 440x sized starter, but whether it's the same as the 440x I don't know. Note the big difference in core charges between the two. It's possible they really don't want the old starter cores back anymore as for 20 bucks it's not worth sending back considering postage cost, and that in the future all rebuilt starters will have the ridiculous core charge. After 35 years of '02sville, the sound is weird and I'll never get used to it.

SR440X

Bosch (OE Reman)

Starter

$182.50 list

$61.00 core charge

$135.82 price

SR71X

Bosch (OE Reman)

Starter

$165.75 list

$20.00 core charge

$94.14 price

... there is a similar price difference. The starters in the photos look identical except for the part number on the sticker, i.e. both are the smaller S14 style. So, take a chance and order the SR71X instead of the SR440X. In the unlikely event you get the old style, you'll still get a useable starter that may last as long as your car.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

... there is a similar price difference. The starters in the photos look identical except for the part number on the sticker, i.e. both are the smaller S14 style. So, take a chance and order the SR71X instead of the SR440X. In the unlikely event you get the old style, you'll still get a useable starter that may last as long as your car.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators