• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 WINS TARGA NEWFOUNDLAND!

Dave3x72tii

Guys,

I can't tell ya the countless times Roy has helped me out in the 20 years I've known him., with one of the many prior 2002's I've owned, a '73tii I bought from him, getting parts from him and chewing his ear. Really happy for Roy and Adrienne, they are both very deserving of it.

Tim

'69 2000

Hi Dave

Woodstock indeed won Classic Big Bore, and Overall. Car ran flawlessly for 2500 Km, day after day. I only spent half a day on Saturday ensuring every nut and bolt was tight on the car, and fabricated a couple of small aluminum brackets. Then my job was only to service the car with fuel for the next 5 days. Roy wrenched a tiny bit in midweek, but nothing important.

Roy and Adrienne both did a great job at bringing the car closer to victory, day after day. They carried the 2002 legacy on their shoulder, as well as Brian Jarvis and his 1974 Tii.

07r103f126.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Congrats to Roy and Adrienne! Roy was the "interim" owner of our 2002. My ad bought the car new in 1971. He was Roy's high-school chemistry teacher, and on a couple of occasions he gave Roy a ride in the Orange Car. That apparently started Roy's fascination with these little Bavarian cars, and a few years later my dad offered to sell him the car when he had to raise some cash for a family health problem.

Roy owned the car from 1984 to 1997, and I know Timmer remembers the car sitting in his garage then. Roy said he mostly drove it on family fall trips in Central PA (and a few driving schools), but he only put 30k miles on it in 13 years. In 1997 (the year I graduated from high school) he called my dad asking if he'd like to buy the car back, at about the same price he paid in 1984. My dad agreed on the spot, and the car returned to us. My dad passed the car on to me about five months before he died in 2002.

I've only met Roy once or twice, but I feel like I know him better through the car and, more importantly, my dad. Please pass my kudos along!

-Dave

My dad and me with the car in 2002:

02DadnDave.jpg

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Dave:

I remember the Colorado '02, and Roy telling me the story about your dad. He was torn between keeping it and returning it to the original owner, and ended up deciding to return it and spend his time on other projects.

It was a nice car when I saw it, glad it's still in the family. I got my start with a '72 tii that my father owned when I started driving. He sold it when I was in college and I couldn't afford to buy it. Took me a few years before I got my hands on another '02. Would have loved to get the same one back, just for sentimental reasons.

-Karl

-Karl

'73 '02