• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front windshield question..

auggiemize

Trying to finish up Nevada, and good period windshield cracked upon removal from its previous ride. Are there good ones available without corner fog lying around? Fair price? I know that the biggest problem is that no one wants to ship if they have one, for obvious reasons. Safelight was given to me as an option for a new one; any thoughts? I gather that they are not tinted, but what about fit, price, etc? Or is there a miracle cure for the fog? I have considered goggles, but I don't think DMV or the highway patrol would think thats a reasonable option. And it is a new headliner...Much thanks, Dave V. in western NC USA

i had mine replaced through my insurance for being cracked.

a local glass co. did the work and they replaced with new original

Sigla glass with the BMW logo on it. so i imagine it can be ordered through

your local BMW dealer and they won't charge xtra for shipping.

(o=00=o)

Dave, saw you windshield shout out...if you can't find a good used windshield you can always call your local auto glass shops and get a quote. I did that very thing the other day just to see what the 02 windshields are going for these days. A brand new aftermarket windshield (PPG or Pilkington) was quoted at $155 + tax, not installed. Installation was quoted ar another $110, assuming the seal was in good shape. Anyway, just wanted to pass along as info.

The older I get the better I was!

You can buy a new one from Maximillion for $269.00! Why bother with an old one when new BMW glass is so inexpensive?

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Dave, saw you windshield shout out...if you can't find a good used windshield you can always call your local auto glass shops and get a quote. I did that very thing the other day just to see what the 02 windshields are going for these days. A brand new aftermarket windshield (PPG or Pilkington) was quoted at $155 + tax, not installed. Installation was quoted ar another $110, assuming the seal was in good shape. Anyway, just wanted to pass along as info.

I just had the body shop get me a new windshield for my M635 from a vendor (I forgot to specify BMW glass) and the put in a Pinkerton........WHat a piece of crap. Brand new they charged me $300 installed which seemed fair until I was in the sun. Looked like it was full of pits. The problem was in the laminate, not on the outside. I brought it back and they put BMW glass in the car for no extra dollars, no questions. That afternarket Pinkerton crap is from China and doesn't save a dime.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

1. Tinted windshields, OEM or aftermarket are easy to source and as has been mentioned, factory oes are best. It's the clear ones as used on the early cars that are hard to find...took some doing to find one 4-5 years ago for my '69. Of course if you really want difficult, try to find a clear, heated backlight!

2. Always use a BMW gasket; the aftermarket stuff just doesn't fit properly. It took my glass shop three tries before they finally listened to me and got the proper gasket from Max.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite