• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So do those plastic sunroof wind deflectors work?

mhoffperson

So I get a bit of wind noise from the sunroof on my '76 2002. I've got new gaskets so that's not the problem. I see 2002's with those black plastic deflectors and even though I don't like their looks I'm wondering if it's a practical solution to my noise issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think they are only good for Italians who's girlfriends don't want their hair to get messed up on the way to the night club. I could be completely wrong though.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

In certain conditions, depending on how much your roof is open, how fast you are moveing. They seem to help or at least mine seems to, also helps keep the loose hay out when meeting meeting hay trucks on the two lane that are shedding their load.

I believe it is intended to help minimize the Bufffeting Effect of the air while driving "at speed". My '76 had one on it when I bought the car, but I soon removed it. I just think they are ugly! And when driving "at speed" I rearely have my sunroof open anyway.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

It cuts down the wind alot and my hair doesn't move anyway since I buzz with a #2 blade. I think it looks good. Soft brown tint on a bronzit works for me. However my 325iX came with one which looked terrible and also caused rust on the roof. The one I put on my 02 in 1987 (Air Press) hasn't touched the paint at all.

DLM

post-2527-13667580929905_thumb.jpg

Actually, I think your looks very nice....it goes well with Polaris. But on most colors they don't look as nice IMHO.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I had one on my '73tii when I purchased it back in '01. I didn't like it, but it helped keep the wind noise down and eliminated the "pea in a whistle" wind buffeting.

It worked well enough for me to leave it on for my trip to and from O'Fest in 2002 and I found it particularly helpful to have as I caravaned across Nebraska in sweltering 103 degrees with the heater on full blast to compensate for the plugged radiator and keep the temp gauge out of the red zone. The windows down, the sunroof open, the rear quarters propped open...tank top and shorts...it was loooooooong way to O'Fest 2002.

I've since removed it along with a bunch of other gingerbread.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com