• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 Baur Targa

leonine99

I was trundling down the road at the beach yesterday, when I noticed an E21 Baur Targa Cab, parked up ahead. As I drove by, it was a 316, the entry (read - carbureted) level of the E21's that never made it to the USA officially. I'm guessing in stock form these cars couldn't get out of their own way and clocked the quarter mile in a matter of hours, but I love the look of this car with the single headlamps, and it does seem like the 'missing link' between the 02's and the 320i's and 323's. Anyone ever get a hold of one of these and do some engine mods? BTW, the targa was parked head in, so I couldn't see if it was single headlamps, or any additional lamps added. Thanks...

Jeff

post-657-13667580082642_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned for more of SoCal Vintage BMW
http://www.SoCalVintageBMW.com
BMW CCA Member #423513

I had an 82 323i Baur top that I imported from Italy in 84. It was a BMW Individual car and was Inka (perhaps the only one) with black leather sports interior. It was stolen from the Norfolk Va. Airport parking lot in May 86. It is currently registered in Brazil. It was one of my favorite cars. by the way, the top leaked even when it was new and it was a handful in any kind of wet weather.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

It was stolen from the Norfolk Va. Airport parking lot in May 86. It is currently registered in Brazil.

What a small world!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

It was stolen from the Norfolk Va. Airport parking lot in May 86. It is currently registered in Brazil.

WTF? How did you find out it was registered there? Can't you go down and get that shit back?

Insurance company paid me . I found the car through a group of enthusiasts there several years later. It was legally (in Brazil) sold through a carbroker there and the owner has a clear title and bill of sale. That's where it ended. US authorities dont care much and neither do the Brazilians. Didn't seem to be a good move to launch a paramilitary operation. There were several 911's and a DeTomaso Mangusta stolen during the same week. My guess is they ended up in the same container.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Insurance company paid me . I found the car through a group of enthusiasts there several years later. It was legally (in Brazil) sold through a carbroker there and the owner has a clear title and bill of sale. That's where it ended. US authorities dont care much and neither do the Brazilians. Didn't seem to be a good move to launch a paramilitary operation. There were several 911's and a DeTomaso Mangusta stolen during the same week. My guess is they ended up in the same container.

We had a similar deal going on here in the island at around the same time. There were many BMW's, Mercedes and other high-end cars which wound up at the Dominican Republic. I had a 320i stolen which apparently wound up there inside a container.I've heard that it has been going on again, since they re-started the ferry service a few years ago.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290