• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dumb question of the night

Armond

vent is blowing hot air while driving even when the fan is off and temp setting is at cold. What gives?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Your heater valve might be stuck in the open position.

so how do i fix this?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Open the hood and look at the heater valve. Its on the passenger side of the car. See if the control cable is still attached to it. Move the temp. knob and see if the heater valve arm moves back and forth. If the valve is stuck, new ones are pricey. Ive never fixed or restored one. Im sure others will chime in with thier experiences. Mine would stick and I sprayed it with WD40 and it moved again. But I know I probably need new one. Good luck

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

have heater valves with little holes drilled thru the valve itself, so that even when closed a small amount of water flows thru the valve. Reason: to allow water circulation in the heater year-round so things didn't get gummed up.

However, it's only noticeable on a really warm day, so I'd guess that the control cable is sticking or the valve itself is stuck. There should be some archive postings on removing and dismantling the heater valve. Three things to watch out for:

1. When removing the valve, unbolt the lever from the valve body; do not remove the cable from the lever. It's a gold-plated PITA to reinstall. And be SURE and note exactly how the lever bolts to the valve and the control lever's position (all the way hot or cold). It's real easy to get it backwards, so you have cold air when the control is set to hot and vice versa.

2. Be gentle when removing the valve from the heater. It's fastened to a flimsy plastic piece that breaks easily.

3. Take your time removing the two screws that hold the valve together. They're steel, screwed into a brass body. Can't heat 'em too much as the later valves are plastic and you'll melt 'em. When you do get 'em out, replace with stainless steel screws from the hardware store.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite