• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on old thread: Clutch chirping sound at idle

Mars

Hi all,

Just posting an update. Here's the original post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,289384/highlight,/

After the above post I went and dropped the tranny and replaced the TO bearing. Put it all back together and the chirp was still there. So, now I knew it wasn't the pilot bearing or TO bearing. I started to think it was the transmission failing internally.

So, yesterday I drop everything down again and this time put in one of my spare good trannies and a newish TO bearing known to be good. Take my time putting it all back together perfectly (thinking for sure this will cure the problem for good) only to hear that damn chirping again when all was said and done.

At this point I had dropped this tranny 3 times. My face dropped when I heard that. Then, I got to thinking and jacked the car up while it was running so I could better pinpoint the noise.

Sure enough I found it! The chirping was just being caused by the clutch slave cylinder push rod vibrating against the fork lever. Unbelievable. Serves me right for not checking the simple things. All that work and all that time and all it took was a dab of grease and my chirping cricket went away.

Moral of the story: Never overlook the obvious & simple. I should have gotten underneath it and tried to pinpoint the noise before ever having assumed it was internal to the transmission. Sometimes too much knowledge is not a good thing. I KNOW all of the things that COULD have caused this so I automatically assumed it would be a TO bearing or other internal trans problem.

Hi all,

Just posting an update. Here's the original post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,289384/highlight,/

After the above post I went and dropped the tranny and replaced the TO bearing. Put it all back together and the chirp was still there. So, now I knew it wasn't the pilot bearing or TO bearing. I started to think it was the transmission failing internally.

So, yesterday I drop everything down again and this time put in one of my spare good trannies and a newish TO bearing known to be good. Take my time putting it all back together perfectly (thinking for sure this will cure the problem for good) only to hear that damn chirping again when all was said and done.

At this point I had dropped this tranny 3 times. My face dropped when I heard that. Then, I got to thinking and jacked the car up while it was running so I could better pinpoint the noise.

Sure enough I found it! The chirping was just being caused by the clutch slave cylinder push rod vibrating against the fork lever. Unbelievable. Serves me right for not checking the simple things. All that work and all that time and all it took was a dab of grease and my chirping cricket went away.

Moral of the story: Never overlook the obvious & simple. I should have gotten underneath it and tried to pinpoint the noise before ever having assumed it was internal to the transmission. Sometimes too much knowledge is not a good thing. I KNOW all of the things that COULD have caused this so I automatically assumed it would be a TO bearing or other internal trans problem.

good lesson hard learned... thanks for sharing! ;)

• 5 years later...

shit! i have the same exact sound and when i was reading both the original post and your 3x tranny exchange, i almost cried at the amt of work i needed to do...

i too have yet to check exactly where this sound is coming from - but i will next weekend - and i pray its the same as yours.

how did you fix it? just some lube?