• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Datsun 510

Armond

Honestly I think 2 similarly preped cars....the datsun will be faster.....I think that historic race results will show that.

The datsun is a poor mans 2002.

the bmw has a much better build quality (i.e heavier) and overall a better car. The datsun.....well it's light! Since they basiaclly copied the design and suspesion....it also handles just as good if not better....so

it just a question of preference really.

I like the body style of both to be truthful.

If I wasn't such a BMW die hard.....the 510 would be my first choice.

At the my first race a few weeks ago at Willow springs the fastest car in my class was a 510 with a 1.38 laptime. THe fastest bmw? Jeff Ireland (maybe also scott parsons) 1.40

that is alot of difference! But there were plenty of BMW also ahead of 510's thruought the feild. THey are very matched .....

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

I've owned both.

In stock form, the 2002 is the winner, "hands down!"

Thinking about the cheesy interior materials and build quality makes me want to hurl...the gear selector "stick in a bowl of pudding" is the pits. Skinny tires, wimpy exhaust note, odd driver's position, rust bucket, funny electricals, carburetor icing were but a few complaints -- a generic Japanese car for the masses.

A lot of my friends had 'em and loved 'em for rallycars, ice racers, and in SCCA B Sedan Classes.

The 510s and the 240Zs had all kinds of hop up equipment "right off the shelf" from Datsun Competition. Not so with the BMW 2002.

I saw a blue 510 two door on the street here in The City (San Francisco) last Sunday night. It was stock, stock, stock. Gave me the creeps...

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I'd have to agree that the fit and finish of the 2002 far surpasses that of the 510. The 2002 is indeed more refined, smooth, quiet, designed and constructed better.

Our 510 is being built for auto-x, no frills, heater, interior, wipers, etc. just light and quick. It's fast and fun but loud, harsh, and the dual SU's suck gas like our Falcon Sprint...

hopefully the photos upload...

Andy

post-381-13667577034411_thumb.jpg

I have been to a few vinytage races in my time and I can't seem to remember any 02's beating a 510. Yes the 02 is more "refined" but that's not what makes a fast car. There was a 510 2L turbocharged in the "how to modify your Datsun 510" book that beat a Shelby Cobra at Sears Point (I believe was the track) by 6 seconds a lap for a new record in class! They are light, very quick and have a huge following behind them. We usually lick our wounds around them! and yes I have one also....poor man's BMW is the 510 and a richman's 510 is the BMW 2002

since the 4 door was stiffer and the 2 door lighter. i wouldnt drive one just for the fact that they copied the '02. i wouldnt be surprised if theyre "designing" included disassembling a 1600. and taking very good notes. but they are pretty cool. wouldnt say as well built or trimmed as the 02 though.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4