• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to lower my car!!!

Meintii

I want to lower my car but Im not sure what springs to buy because i dont want to lower it too much just about 2in or less.... What do you recemend to lower it with? I just dont like how high it is and i want it lower. I was thinking about the bavauto lowering spring but like I said, I would hate to have it to low! PLEASE HELP!

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

the street...if you're talking about your '72, it's already about an inch lower than the 73-76 cars due to taller springs on the later ones for Federal bumper height requirements. And if you haven't removed the aluminum spacers in front, or gone to 1 or 2 dot upper spring pads in the rear, that's another half inch or so.

I just installed H&R springs on my '73 but haven't taken it on the street yet or compared height with my stock '69 but their literature says 1-1.25 inch lowering over stock springs. They're progressive (get stiffer as they're compressed) so should provide an acceptable ride on the streeet (won't jar your fillings loose) but have less body lean when cornering. We'll see...

If you're gonna do springs, you might also look at suspension bushings, lower ball joints and upper strut mounts--if they're all original they're probably tired--shocks too. My June & July Roundel columns will detail my adventures in refurbishing the above on my own car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There's many different kits on the market and you'll probably get a bunch of replies with different options to choose from. Something to keep in mind is that you should probably replace the shocks at the same time. A matched set of springs and shocks all around is the best way to go.

I went with Eibach springs and Koni shocks back in 1986 and they've been fine to this day. Lowered the car about 1.75", I think.

Here's the before & after pics...

post-668-13667576594875_thumb.jpg

post-668-13667576596586_thumb.jpg

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

IMO go all or nothing meaning either replace it all or dont touch a darn thing and keep saving.

Do replace shocks, springs, bushings, steering & ball joints, etc. all at once. You will be pleasantly suprised at how nice a new stock suspension is. I did full urethane with ST springs and Bilstein HD's with all new parts & a volvo front BBK and e21 250mm rear BBK.

If I were to do it again I would go with all new rubber or go with soft urethane but *probably* not full (hard) urethane again. IMO eibachs, sports and solid/urethane is badass... if you can take it. second is ST's & HD's and urethane/soft poly or rubber, finally stock.

Dont forget (or underestimate) BIG SWAYS!!!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

1st note. 2" is a lot. Think more of 1 to 1.5. Second. Lowering your car is EASY!! Start by buying 4 anvils. put two in the trunk, and two on the floor of the passenger side floor. Measure how much your car has been lowered and add or subtract anvils accordingly.....

You're welcome...

1st note. 2" is a lot. Think more of 1 to 1.5. Second. Lowering your car is EASY!! Start by buying 4 anvils. put two in the trunk, and two on the floor of the passenger side floor. Measure how much your car has been lowered and add or subtract anvils accordingly.....

You're welcome...

Maybe if you're building an ice racer...Then again, my friend and I bought

two Toyota SR5 sh*t box ice racers to run in a series in northern Ontario

a few years ago... I ran zero balast, he ran a bunch... I won all the races... hahaha...

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR