• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

s14 air filter choices- nose job required?

peteinjp

I actually have a plenum already. With the carbon box will you still be using the same filter setup? If not I may be interested in that. How about the exhaust BTW- will you be replacing the turbo setup asd if so what will you use? I'm trying to decide how to go with a 2.5. That is one major hurdle for me. Realistically it will be a good while before the s14 is in. The car is running great with the tii set-up so I will do/buy as much as possible before i yank that out. I may have access to an engine dynamometer so i may even tune the megasquirt and spark before dropping it in.

I actually have a plenum already. With the carbon box will you still be using the same filter setup? If not I may be interested in that. How about the exhaust BTW- will you be replacing the turbo setup asd if so what will you use? I'm trying to decide how to go with a 2.5. That is one major hurdle for me. Realistically it will be a good while before the s14 is in. The car is running great with the tii set-up so I will do/buy as much as possible before i yank that out. I may have access to an engine dynamometer so i may even tune the megasquirt and spark before dropping it in.

i was told ill need to run a cone with the CF box but i dont have it yet so im not sure how its set up. maybe ray can chime in on how his is set up.

my plan is to run the turbo set up but my exhaust guy said he could duplicate it in 2.5 easily if i dropped it off so i may do that. if so ill sell the turbo set up.

my airbox should be here anyday now as john emailed me 2 weeks ago saying it was leaving germany.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Sheesh, that's close! I think I read somewhere that MOESPEED used a M10 water pump which was shorter.

I'm using the s14 pump. I'll take a look at Moe's the next time I see him. Thanks

blimey I thought mine was close, but that's just silly! What engine mounts are you using? I'd be very worried the rubber ones might let the engine hit the rad under heavy braking.

IE Poly mounts

Ray- do you still have the stock box with the e28 lower portion- if so I'd be interested in buying it.

Sorry, I sold it already. Here's a stock one for sale http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24737 or check this out http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22029

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Pete:

I will be going through the same issues at some point. I would be very interested in your progress through the Megasquirt conversion. I'm hoping you could document your work for the others who might learn from your experience, i.e. blog, website, journal.

I am slowly preparing my S14 motor while I search for a suitable donor. Ditching the M3 wiring harness and not having to deal with expense of installing the transmission sensors is very appealing.

As far as the air filter choice, I was thinking that there might be a shorter cone filter or something custom that might fit without cutting the nose.

Thanks,

Mark92131

post-1954-13667576254661_thumb.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Mark,

I am thinking of starting a project blog about it but to be honest I have notreally started. I'm in the very beginning of the parts collection phase. I need to check over my motor as well. Only 87,000 km but has had a new head gasket and rings. I'm thinking that we should start an FAQ on the s14 conversion. A simple version that documents the various solutions to problems just like the air filter for ex. in photos. Exhaust solutions would be another good FAQ.

It seems clear that a cone filter could fit without cutting in our case based on Ray's pic. The elimination of the of the afm should make it work however my hope is to use a stock type box filter which i believe may flow better and also easily allow one to draw cooler air thru a smaller hole in the radiator support.

76641349.jpg

I wonder why the air plenum and the filter box are separate units. The old way of incorperating the filter within an airbox as alpina did with the a4 was much more compact. hmmmmm

Pete............

Yes using the S14 pump/pulley is tight. You have to cut the threaded end off which is on the pulley. Its for the clutch fan on the M3 which is not used on this swap. I'd say that Ray is accuate, I remember there being about 10mm of space that way.

Using an M10 pump/pulley, you will gain room. Just have to modify 2 of the 3 M8 holes on the pump. The S14 lower timing cover has 2 shuffle pins in it to help line up the pump. I have since thrown away the plastic 320 radiator and got an 02 Aluminum one from Ireland. Since I will be tracking the car, I just wanted a better cooling system and piece of mind. I do use poly mounts so shifting foward and backward wont be much of an issue, but like Nick said, rubber ones would cause for concern. I haven't had an issue with cooling using the M10 pump/pulley on the street, but tracking is different, so that will be the test.

As far an fitment with the 02 Aluminum radiator, I lost some room. It seems to be a hair thicker. Maybe someone can measure a 320 or turbo core. The Aluminum one is 49mm thick. I also have it off the nose piece about 2mm with rubber washers. So I guess I am back where I started 10mm of space like Ray has.

Back to your main question, Using an open element air filter is the easiest route. I am planning on putting the Alpha-N kit on someday when I dyno the stock motor. So thats why I went this route. I have seen the swap done with the OEM looking box, but I have no knowledge of what is needed to make it work.

DSC00241.jpg

THis is what the swap looked like before I put in the 02 Aluminum radiator. You can see what kind of room I had before. Also note what was done to keep from sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. Not complete cold air but you get the idea.

Hope this helps...Cheers.....

MOE

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.