• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a barn BMW 1600

Fellas,

My stepson came up from SoCal this past weekend and while me and my wife were driving him around this rural area we live, we came upon a house that was trying sell of off a couple of cars it had parked along the side of it. We ventured onto the property more out of curiosity than anything else. The cars out on the yard were an older 70's Jaguar as well as a '64 or '65 Ford T-Bird. Anyway, as we were driving slowly along their loooong driveway, my wife happened to notice that in of their dilapitated barns, what looked to be an old 2002. We parked, got out and went into the barn to find out it was actually an old 1600. "Minus the engine though." My best guess though, is that the person (or family) that owns the vehicle, probably STILL HAS the engine somewhere on the property.

Anyway, the car was wahat Iwould consider to be very clean with no body damage at all.. BUT.. like I said.."The engine wasn't there."

While we never approached the people actually selling the other vehicles, I can't think that they'd want to get rid of this one as well. Preferrably, II would rfeally want this for free, considering the "engine" thingy.

"As a project, is the 1600 even worth pursuing?"

I also found another fella very local that's wanting to get rid of an Austin America as well. "That one I thought, might be kinda' fun."

Anyway, was curious asa to your guys' opinions.

So ya' know, too.. I have a heap of spare '02 parts that I could pilfer through for the 1600.

In all honesty, it don't that there we really all that many parts missing off the car, really. "Not that I could tell anyway."

- K

(nt)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

"As a project, is the 1600 even worth pursuing?"K

Given enough stash to make up for the missing bits, sure. The only differences from a 2002, besides the motor, that I can think of are (any of these things may have been updated/replaced):

* 6 volt if it's an early car

* long neck, 4.10:1 differential

* mechanical clutch

* single circuit, mechanical brakes

* no anti-sway bars (though the front frame holes are there to receive fittings)

* 6 bolts at output/prop shafts

If the owner can come up with the motor, it's worth it to try just for grins. The 1.6L is a different animal from the 2.0L -- a rev-happy little beast that loves to live at the upper limits of rpm.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Buy the tii engine listed in the parts section and pep the car up. That's what I'd do with my 68 1600 if I hadn't got the stock engine well sorted recently. Probably need to make sure the fly wheel bolt pattern matched up with the tii engine and if it did then go with the 200mm 1600 flywheel and mechanical clutch. Might need an parts adjustment to match up the drive shaft to the engine also. Is this the same Ken that was in Fountain Valley?

Pete