• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone besides wallothnesch sell A panels????

PSloan

I need 2 of them and dont want to order from there due to shipping costs.

Anyone know where i can get some new metal or does anyone have some they can cut for me?

Pat,

I've recently gone down this road so I know what you are trying to balance. I have a really rough 74 that's nothing special other than it's amazing how it's still holding together with all the rust. Arches are gone - bought DAPBMW's alpina flares, rockers gone - bought a set of rockers from BLUNT. Fenders went (several years ago) - bought used metal from AD. Floors are gone and I glassed, riveted and bondo'ed the shit out of it.. haha.

If you buy a new clean shell be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $3,000 for something that has been dipped or blasted and is euro-primed. That's just for the shell with nothing done to it. Almost every car has dings, dents, rust here and there. A europrimer shell is the way to start but you still have $10K to spend from there to do it right. It's mostly time but you'll have panels that need replacing, welding and fabrication to be done, if you're really putting in a 300hp turob motor maybe some seam welding??? Then re-prime, paint, assembly. Thing is if you get a bare shell you don't just throw a crappy old wire harness in there so you need to budget accordingly. It's concievable to spend $1000 on just wiring and rebuilding the electrics in the car alone.

Unless you have a hidden trust fund that you're keeping from us it's probably better off to just fix your car and work with it. Use it as a learning experience. Fix it, tinker with it and do the best you can. Someday when you're 35 and have a garage then start on your dream car - we're ahead of the curve, there are many who are much older than us and have just gotten into 02's and aren't even where we are.

A full restoration (assuming that you do 99% of the work) will probably cost you on the order of $15K. I ended up going out and buying a half way decent 71 roundie car and I'm going to just hang on to it. I'm happy driving around my rusted out 74 and I look forward to fully restoring my 71 but till then it has to wait. Not enough time, money or space (which requires money).

Good luck!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Yeah - I'm going to use the hell out of my sander, grinder and sandblaster. I have my parents garage to work in - and i may rent some storage space to put some of their crap in so that i can have a little more room. I'll just take my time then and learn as i go. It will be a LONG time until i get this beast on the road. I had better invest in some good tools.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

If you buy a new clean shell be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $3,000 for something that has been dipped or blasted and is euro-primed. That's just for the shell with nothing done to it.

I know ahead of time that this is a silly question. I'm one of those that Mr. Garrison referrs to as a stupid person. ;)

When you say "new clean shell" what are you talking about? You're not talking new as in brand new, but new as in a decent shell that has no rust and has been stripped and primed and repaired when needed?

I'm guessing that would also include nothing like doors, hood, nose, trunk, etc. For $3000, I'd be tempted by something in really good shape. As it is, I'll probably be piecing things together and learning my way around the fab process the hard way.

Sorry for my ingorance. Thanks for the answer.

Pete

When you say "new clean shell" what are you talking about? You're not talking new as in brand new, but new as in a decent shell that has no rust and has been stripped and primed and repaired when needed?

I'm guessing that would also include nothing like doors, hood, nose, trunk, etc. For $3000, I'd be tempted by something in really good shape. As it is, I'll probably be piecing things together and learning my way around the fab process the hard way.

Sorry for my ingorance. Thanks for the answer.

Pete

Matt McGinn brought one to Lime Rock a few years ago and there were photos put up. Go here and look through the gallery.

http://sports-car-restoration.com/gallery/

I'm talking about something that's been stripped, either dipped or sand blasted, rust totally removed, and then primed. Matt's stuff has had all the body work done. There are some guys out there who strip down shells, dip them or sand blast them and then prime. So all you get is something rust free in primer. The photos I put up are from Matt's shop and are far from what I talk about. These cars have had hundreds (if not more) of hours put into them and are ready for final paint. I have no idea what Matt had done to these cars prior but they effectively look like this.

I'm talking litterally you buy a shell, strip it, dip or sandblast it, prime it and hand over roughly $3,000.

post-377-1366757221234_thumb.jpg

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76