• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring Diagrams: Anyone interested?

H_Krix

Do you think Steve K could put up a PDF and we could download it?

Is there a copyright problem with that???

I'd think putting it up here on the FAQ so we can all download it would be nice and easy - good access to all.

i 2nd that

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

I have the huge file scanned, but not the corresponding number chart yet. I just used the book when I was doing mine.

I just moved into a new house and will be getting my scanner up and running soon. With the holidays and whatnot, look for the compilation to be completed in the next couple of weeks.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I have two very nice very complete wire harnesses that I will be rebuilding. One is a tii and one is a 75 regular car. Over the next several months I'll be happy to document what colors, lengths, gauges, end fittings, joints, etc.... Everything.... and post it on the FAQ as either a FAQ or a blog or whatever.

If we could post up on the FAQ Project Blogs a start to something like this I'll be happy to contribute.

BTW, David Bentz was kind enough to donate (sell to me for $40) the tii wire harness. Part of the agreement he made with me was that as I rebuild the thing I would post up all this info. So I was planning on doing all of this anyway - only it will take some time to actually measure and execute all of this.

Let me know how to proceed....

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I tried scanning the one for my 73 tii and you're right the file size is very large. But the problem is that my repair manual I bought from Bimmer Parts was a third or fourth generation copy and even enlarging the text all I got was blurred letters. I bought one of the laminated wiring diagrams off eBay and it's great. All the wires are shown in original colors so no legend is required. I think he avoided the copyright problem by totally redrawing the diagrams. Only problem is the lack of wire lengths. Still an issue if you want to build a new harness.

'73 tii #2793786

'97 328ic

'03 Escalade (wife's)

A few points:

1) Yes, electronic wiring diagrams would be invaluable. Just last week, I posted the idea of organizing them as a FAQ. But since I do not have any diagrams other than for my cars, I figured that it would be better for someone who has all of the diagrams to organize it, so I quickly deleted my post.

2) I recently acquired a pdf wiring diagram that is the same file size as your 5% sample, except mine is fully legible when printed at 10" high by 26" wide. Therefore, it is possible to produce a usable diagram at 200KB. I imagine using adobe format is the key.

3) At 200KB per diagram, I think it is entirely feasible for diagrams to be hosted for download as a FAQ, if someone is willing to take the time to create and organize them. They might even be a decent fundraising option for FAQ...with a "donate $5 to the FAQ Board" button.

4) One last detail...your "74-76" sample does NOT apply to a 76. (It has a "9.75 Addition" stamp on it, and the 76 US 02 diagram has more emissions crap on it than your sample. My guess is your sample only applies to a 75.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I was going off of memory when I labeled that, so it may not be as specific as to include the emissions regulation stuff. I'll have to go and look through the book again to make certain.

I'm going to start scanning everything in sometime next week, and be very detailed about it. I'll see about hosting a .zip file that would contain some of the larger files, as well as some larger PDFs. I have my own server space, so I can host it and Steve can link to it as necessary.

For the really large files, i'll probably burn some discs. More info on that as it goes along...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Only problem is the lack of wire lengths. Still an issue if you want to build a new harness.

If someone can post up a stock 1975 US spec non-tii car and a 1972 US spec tii car I will take the time to measure out all the wire from the known good complete harnesses I have. I'm not promising that this will be done tomorrow - but I will start and I will gladly share my findings with the FAQ.

David Bentz gets credit for donating the 72 tii harness.

Again if someone finds a way to put these up copyright free I'll verify colours and lengths.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76