• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting rims

future_assassin

or sanding, and/or there are corrosion spots that have to be sanded to the bare aluminum, you really should prime with paint that's designed to stick to aluminum.

Back in the old days, you bought zinc chromate primer--kinda greenish yellow stuff. I don't know if the EPA even allowsits manufacture any more, but I'm sure you can find an aluminum primer in a spray can at your local auto paint emporium. Use that first, then your black paint over it.

I have to admit a partiality to Krylon...inexpensive, durable, dries quickly and easily found. I've had their silver last 8-10 years on wheels.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you take the time to really prep well, the paint will last a lot longer. I used Duplicolor's wheel paint. clear coat and their adhesion promoter. The wheels have had over a year of hard use and they're holding up great.

Make sure the wheels are REALLY clean.

I scuffed them up with a scotch brite pad. With the basket weaves, that will take a while. I'd still suggest doing it. The paint will last a lot longer.

Do really thin coats of paint. Don't worry about getting full coverage on the first coat... maybe not the second one either. Let them dry for a little while between coats. I let them dry over night before doing three thin coats of clear over the top.

If you take your time and don't rush, they can look really good and last a long time.

Pete

If you are lazy like me and don't want to pull the tires off, then Eastwood sells some wheel painting sheilds. I got 'em and they work well. Here's the tip. They are just some strips of thin sheet metal about 8-10cm wide and long enough to go around the rim about one and a half times. They have a little plastic clip to hold the wrapped edge together. Simple, and it works well.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes