• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two starter questions...

Dirt

Question 1 has to do with removal. Is there room enough for me to remove the starter without having to take the intake manifold off? It looks like I should be able to slide it up in between the intake manifold and the firewall.

Question 2: Has anyone here rebuilt their starter? My guess is that mine just isn't moving because it has been sitting for years. Any advice on taking it apart? I've got a manual that describes the process. Just curious about real-world experience.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Q1 Bob's right, but it's a pain in the patoot. The bolts have nuts, you see...

Q2 quite likely. But see Q1. Take yours out, then take it apart. If it's something easy like a stuck (rusted) solenoid, by all means, repair it. Likewise, a bad bearing or something. But if you have to cabbage it back together, remember what a pain in the fingers it was to swap...

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Three things generally go wrong with a 2002 starter; you can fix 'em all with a modicum of skill and patience.

1. Rear bushing starts spinning in its plastic sleeve, putting a heavy drag on the motor and making it spin slowly. If you discover this, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you instructions for making a new rear bushing that eliminates the plastic sleeve and thus the problem.

2. Brushes worn out--new brushes are available from Bosch, just solder 'em in. Make sure the commutator (copper part of the armature that the brushes bear against) isn't worn or burnt.

3. Solenoid has died. They should also be available from Bosch, but are expensive. If the solenoid is bad and you can't find a parts starter with a good solenoid, you might be better off with a rebuilt starter.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The M3 unit is stronger, lighter and newer. It is a little pricy @ about $175 but from what the board has posted it is, hands down, worth every penny. I seem to remember it being like 8 lbs less or some crazy amount like that. If you search the forum there are a number of threads about the mod.

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

The M3 unit is stronger, lighter and newer. It is a little pricy @ about $175 but from what the board has posted it is, hands down, worth every penny. I seem to remember it being like 8 lbs less or some crazy amount like that. If you search the forum there are a number of threads about the mod.

JB

Cool. You save 8 pounds here, 8 pounds there and before you know it your car is a little lighter. Sounds like a great choice. When I've got the motor out and I'm overhauling it, I'll drop one in before I put the motor back in.

Thanks for the info.

Pete