• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'75 o2 project (updated 3.29.07)

albawhore

In the fall of 2000 I bought an 1975 o2 (minted 10/74). I got it from a good buddy for $700 with a blown head and a questionable radiator. I got it with the intention of fixing it and giving it to my oldest step son for his 16th birthday. I get it home and we start wrenching on it and fixing stuff as we find it. We take the head to the local high quality machine shop and find out that it has already been resurfaced and is actually different heights at each end.

So we go home with the aluminum paper weight and start to weigh our options. Money was tight back the and I could not afford to throw another $700 at it. We talked about getting a rebuilt high performance engine from the guys in Rancho Cordova and started saving. After about 6 months the new paint job the car came with started flying off in fingernail sized pieces, so we decide to take it to bare metal. We worked our asses of and got about 3/4's of the way around the car. We found some rust under the bumper rubber on the passenger rear. We found a lot of bondo on the front right fender and then we started to look more closely. It had a "new" nose that had been stick welded in and poorly at that.

The car sat for a long time.

I found some money and a '76 Chamonix that had been sitting literally across the street from the ocean in Santa Cruz for four years. The engine had 3000 miles on a rebuild when it was parked, family health issues caused it to be parked. I bought the car. It was melting but the running gear looked good. I made a temporary gas tank out of a gas can, put our battery in it and turned the key. It started right up, it ran for about 5 minutes and the oil filter was so rusted that it sprang a leak and sprayed oil across half the neighborhood. I ran to Kragens fixed the filter and drove it away. We pulled the running gear and transplanted it to the '75. We now have a runner.

We started putting everthing back together, we had pulled the rear suspension and gone through it replaced all of the fasteners painted it etc..

I get the car all legal so that my boy can take it to Wyoming for school at Wyotech and his Dad gives him a 4runner (used 95 limited) so the car sits some more.

He comes home from school, we charge the battery, it starts right up and we head off to make some friends in the mountain community that we live in (SLOW DOWN YOU ASSHOLES, you know friends).

He and his brother are out dicking around in the car and it has a tragic loss of power. I pull up on the way home from work and say "what happened guys". My younger step son says "Dylan told me to stall it on purpose so I would know what it feels like and we heard something pop and it will not move anymore". Jordan was learning the stick so I figured they had tossed the clutch lining. The car sat some more.

We moved I now have a garage, I get the car over here put it in the garage and we decide that we are going to finish going through it. Dylan is now a diesel mechanic and making good money so he wants to make it special.

I get it up on the stands and figure out that the drivers half shaft had come loose from the diff, hence the pop and tragic los of go.

I am now taking the car all the way down. I am going to send it out for media blasting, fix the stick welded nose job. I just found rust in the passengers floor boards today so we will be fixing that. All new steering, all new bushings, all new suspension, 130+ hp, new seats etc. etc. etc..

We are going for hot street/auto X (I sent him to Skip Barber for his 16th birthday).

I will get some photos up soon I have been meaning to get a digital camera but have been lagging.

There you have it and I will keep you folks posted.

post-2160-1366757190507_thumb.jpg

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

• 2 weeks later...

Stripping the interior and beginning the search for rust

DSCN0003-2.jpg

Stripping the engine bay

DSCN0004-1.jpg

Under the 1/4" thick welds

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0011.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

After sand blasting

FSCN0016.jpg

pedal bucket before

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

We are planning to seal all of this up and pull all of the unneccessary brackets and keepers.

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

Not bad

DSCN0028.jpg

Better

DSCN0029.jpg

Suface only

DSCN0030.jpg

DAMMIT I knew it had to be some where, It does not apper to have gotten to structure but we are still searching.

DSCN0032.jpg

I'll get some more up later.

Justin

'75 o2 blog

mr whore...at your photobucket site, below each image you upload, you'll see the image tag ready to use...simply right click on it and select copy then paste that into the post here, wherever you want that image to appear....

this is what you image tag should look like...no more, no less...

imgtag.gif

and...if you want to eliminate all those errors that appear in the above post, PREVIEW what you are going to post before you submit it...it it ain't right, fix it there and keep previewing it til it's what you want it to look like...then click the SUBMIT button

Esty,

I was at home on the Mac where right clicking is not an option, I got back on this morning and fixed it up.

I am extremely unwired and have learnerd more about computers than I have ever known just because of this board.

Thank you for your support and I appologize for last nights error filled attempt.

Justin

Justin

'75 o2 blog

You've been busy. It is great to see the work moving along. I can't tear mine down like that until after the worst of the winter.

Your floors look better than mine do. Sorry that you had to find the rust there though. It would have been nice if there hadn't been any at all.

Keep up the good work.

Pete

Finally some forward motion.

I finished the control arms tonight, they are epoxied, new Moog ball joints and Ireland urethane.

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

With a little help from the canine garage assistant.

DSCN0053.jpg

I spent about 30 minutes with the heat gun / propane torch method on the pan and wound up with this.

DSCN0047.jpg

20 minutes with a painters 6-in-1 tool and a dead-blow hammer got me this.

DSCN0048.jpg

30 minutes on the drivers side with the hammer/tool.

DSCN0054.jpg

It was a cool California day (50-60 degrees) and it seemed like the cooler it was the easier it went. Even a 5 degree change was noticable.

As for the steering box. The gears look great. I am a little worried about the rings from the seals, I am going to try a little emory cloth action. They are pretty shiny but I cannot feel or measure any real void.

DSCN0049.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0052.jpg

I will update as soon as I have more. Right now I am off to find new hardware for the front suspension so that maybe mine will look 1/10th as good as Bill Williams incredible project.

Happy Holidays and Stay Safe.

JB

Justin

'75 o2 blog

We have made some decisions.

1. m20 with possible/probable turbo

2. Fuel cell

3. Eliminate spare tire well

4. Shave filler neck

5. Fiberglass bonnet and boot lids

6. Turbo trim all around

7. Rear seat elimination with diamond plate build out

8. Diamond plate trunk

I'll be back soon

JB

Justin

'75 o2 blog

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress, the inside is starting to look a little better along with the engine bay.

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

And the DA work begins:

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

I will update again soon, we are getting close to media blast of the underside and welding up ALL of the holes and patches.

Justin

Justin

'75 o2 blog

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I should update.

We are saving for a welder right now, so we are kind of at a stand still. We need to fab a frame with wheels so that we can send the shell off to media blasting.

We have Deloreanesque doors with not as many defects as I expected.

We have Rust to the point of the looking glass at both rear bumper tie points.

We have the rabid chicken syndrom on the rear panel.

We are shopping the local pick-and-pulls for the M20 donor.

The pix from tonight came out like crap so I will take some tomorow in full light and post them.

Cheers

JB

Justin

'75 o2 blog