• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

door moulding clips Help

Dejammey

Should I just break the door moulding clips off and buy new ones or is there a way to remove them without breaking them?

those are difficult to remove then reuse...the center pin is pushed in and falls inside the body panel....besides, the clips are usually worthless after "all those years"

ther are inexpensive & readily available...i'd suggest getting new ones

the fronts are metal...maybe rusted off, if not they're attached with a nut inside the wheel well

You'll mangle the door before they break. If you're getting distortion in the middle of door when hammering on the pins, just back up with heavy tool (hammer and dolly technique). You can also push them out from inside. They are very tough. I always bought new ones for my customers, but used is plenty good enough for my cars.

I drill out the center and just buy new ones. Over time they do get waek and when they don't hold the molding, alot of damage can occur. Especially when it's the molding on the doors.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

• 6 years later...
Should I just break the door moulding clips off and buy new ones or is there a way to remove them without breaking them?

those are difficult to remove then reuse...the center pin is pushed in and falls inside the body panel....besides, the clips are usually worthless after "all those years"

ther are inexpensive & readily available...i'd suggest getting new ones

the fronts are metal...maybe rusted off, if not they're attached with a nut inside the wheel well

anyone know which metal one is supposed to go farthest in the front? mine were so rusted i can't tell if they were:

Part No. 51131816046

or

Part No. 51136440145

???

Thanx,

Ryan

post-3926-13667669619038_thumb.jpg

post-3926-13667669627967_thumb.jpg

post-3926-13667669637085_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

on early 2002s the metal clip is at the rear of the door and is held on by a tiny nut. I believe it is the metal piece in the top picture above. And sometimes the clips are reusable if you push the center pin out a ways from the inside (sharp rap with a thin phillips screwdriver or the like) and then remove the whole clip with pliers from the outside, altho I agree it is better to just get new ones.

hmmm, i have metal ones closest to the front wheel wells but the second one back and the ones on the door are plastic. haven't looked at the rear quarter panel, perhaps there's a metal one near the rear wheel well too. mine's a '73. who knows though, they've probably been replaced at some point in it's life, except for the metal ones which looked like they were unearthed from the titanic's wreckage.

Hi Ryan,

For the door moulding, you'll need fastener (#5) and cap (#6).

Fastener (#1) is meant for the aluminum rocker panel trim, as well as the aluminum trim between the taillights.

Both fasteners use cap (#6) for door moulding and taillight trim purposes. For the rocker panel trim, fastener (#1) uses a typical M4 nut.

1968 BMW 1600

Guest Anonymous

hmmmmm - are we talking about the upper aluminum/chrome moulding? or the lower one in the middle of the door? My previous comment refers to the upper moulding.

Hi Ryan,

For the door moulding, you'll need fastener (#5) and cap (#6).

Fastener (#1) is meant for the aluminum rocker panel trim, as well as the aluminum trim between the taillights.

Both fasteners use cap (#6) for door moulding and taillight trim purposes. For the rocker panel trim, fastener (#1) uses a typical M4 nut.

Thanks Gurmail, so is fastener #5 used anywhere else on the lower moulding for the modell 71 besides the front mounting hole of the short piece that goes between the front wheel well and the door? RealOEM says that Quantity = 8 needed for the whole car.

hmmmmm - are we talking about the upper aluminum/chrome moulding? or the lower one in the middle of the door? My previous comment refers to the upper moulding.

the lower, wider moulding that goes in line with the wrap-around bumpers of the modell 71

Ryan,

The picture in the original posting shows part number 51131829904, listed as "clamp #19" in realoem for which a total of 14 are required - 7 for each rocker panel trim. These are used in combination with part number 51136440145, listed as "fastener #1" - 2 for front of rocker panel trim and the other 5 for aluminum trim between taillights for a total of 7.

According to realoem, part number 51131816046 "fastener #5", all 8 are meant for the door moulding, each with its own black plastic cap nut (#6). The doors take 2 each and the front fender and rear quarter panel take 1 each.

1968 BMW 1600