• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo air dam question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

On a U.S. squarie, if I'm looking to replace the front bumper with a turbo air dam (or reasonable facsimile), would it cover the voids left by the original bumper brackets or would there be some patchin' up to do?

TIA!

bracket holes. But that's for European bumpersm they might be bigger on the USA Spec models. Your other problem is the edges will stick out & you'll need to arch extensions. In this image you can just make out that the holes that hold the spoiler on are above the bumper bracket holes. Rich.

Turbospoileroff.jpg

Chairman of the 02 Register BMW Car Club (GB) Ltd.

If you patch the holes spot weld a doubler in behind first then stitch the patch in with small welds letting the area cool all the way down between welds. The area the patches go is along way from any support and its very easy to get some heat warp going.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

You know Harry, you have a lot to answer for... if I hadn't have seen that picture of your car a while back I wouldn't have gone hell for leather to find a Kamei bumper in the first place! Jokes aside, your car really was an inspiration... it looks fantastic!

Thanks for the compliments, Jon!

I restored it back in '92 and, although it has held up well (no rust, even though I live close to the sea), I have plans to repaint is as soon as the budget allows to correct all the nicks and scratches and to cover up the holes left when I removed the big bumpers.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Guest Anonymous

Nice. I agree w Jon - it looks FANTASTIC! (said entusiastically with English accent). Just when I thought I was ok with the budget shortening of front mounting, you guys go and show we this. Is the Kamei unit made with the more flexible than fiberglass stuff? I'm not planning on doing any bulldozing, but I do live out in the country with the occasional rough dirt back road and scattered lava rock.

Should have asked this in the beginning - early rear bumpers DO cover the scars back there, right?

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

Original Kamei air dams are made out of some sort of plastic (ABS, maybe?) and are somewhat more resistant to damage than fiberglass replicas. However, when they do break, I've been told that they are difficult to repair.

BTW, the small rear bumper does cover the huge bumper shock holes on U.S. version squaries. The smaller holes for the rubber filler panel between the body and the bumper will be exposed, but you might be able to find some rubber plugs to cover them until you can get proper bodywork done.

HTH,

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Nice. I agree w Jon - it looks FANTASTIC! (said entusiastically with English accent).

You're lucky I didn't go for the proper british phrase and call the car "Super Duper!"

On the subject of the Kamei spoiler though, if anybody is interested I am having the logo sticker produced out of cut vinyl to replace the old tatty one. I'm sure I can have another run off and sent if anybosy wants it (any color you like so long as its black!)

post-1590-13667571499946_thumb.jpg