• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

euro turn signals

TTyMiller

This is how I did my signals. Maybe a bit more effort than the "Tap-a-Lite" method, but when a bulb does burn out I do not have to search out a U Haul instead pop in a new buld available at any parts place.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,268960/highlight,earl+myers/

Earl

74 2002Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I just soldered two wires to the back of a twin filament bulb and used male/female connectors on the bulb wires and the wires coming from the car so I have a 'quick connect' connector...took me five minutes and is the cheapest alternative...works great!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Hmm another oddity. My stock ones don't have two bulbs, either that, or I never considered that to be a terminal. I think I'll check them this afternoon. Come to think of it, they could be the same as esty's - the right one flashes brighter than the left and I know I changed the left bulb already last year. Time to investigate!

However, on second thought, that smaller second bulb could be your parking lights as the Euro cars have them in the headlights. I dunno, but I'm still going to look at mine.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

I've got the Italian signal lights that are clear upfront, amber in the rear sides. I first considered doing the mod I've seen mentioned on here related to drilling out the rivets and swapping the brackets, but at least for me, that didn't look like it would work. A) because I don't have anything to reinstall hollow-center rivets (the screws to attach the lens assy to the car goes through there) and I didn't want to try to go without rivets and have just the screws holding it together, but more significantly B) the bracket assemblies won't easily swap! - my '76 02 'bulged' signal assembly brackets and reflectors protrude past where the lens face is on the flat lights. So my conclusion is if anyone's done this bracket swap they did it between flat US and flat Euro/Italian set-ups, or they had to bend the US bracket and heavily modify the reflector to make it work.

I considered the tap-a-lites, but one of the things I really wanted to do was run white running lights inside the clear lenses. (Silver-coated yellow bulbs for the turn signals, but white bulbs for running lights). The tap-a-lites only came in yellow bulbs. And I didn't want to always have to buy tap-a-lites for bulb replacements.

So my solution was to do something similar to Earl's idea. The difference for me was the part I used for the 2nd bulb. I went with a wide-dispersion super-white LED light (in a nice chrome carrier), which I had to drill one hole in the bracket to fit. (I've been replacing most of the lights on my 02 with LEDs - brighter lights, less wattage, longer wear.) I ended up with a pretty nice clean assembly, and the white running lights gives my 02 a distinct look.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com