• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are my plugs telling me?

Grover

Attached are two photos of my Bosch W8DC plugs which have been in for about 1,000miles. Some parts of the plugs seem to have the nice tan/gray coloration, but others suggest possibly a too rich mixture? Also, I noticed that on the plugs from cylinders 3 and 4 there is a wet oily residue quite a way up the threads vs. on the plugs from cylinders 1 and 2 (this is what the second photo is trying to illustrate, but not very successfully.) I'm doing this exercise to help me diagnose some oil burning, but I don't see signs of that on these plugs. Am I correct? Thanks in advance.

post-982-1366757129953_thumb.jpg

post-982-13667571301139_thumb.jpg

No, you can still read plugs. Not sure where you heard that unleaded fuel changes this.

The plugs look a little rich, or if you've done a few short runs without the motor fully warming up then the plugs can look like that too.

Edit: they don't look that oily to me, but I'd say your car is burning a little.

What is the oil consumption like?

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I'm burning quite a bit of oil, probably in the range of a quart every 750 miles or so. The head is recently rebuilt but is still showing some of the same signs as prior to the rebuild. I'm just trying to look at every indicator possible to help in diagnosing what's causing the problem.

The best way to read plugs it to go for a good 20mile drive, then find a nice flat straight section of road, with the engine at high revs 3-4k turn the key off, brake and pull off the road. Then pull the plugs and read them. Otherwise you will get a false reading from slowing down to an idle (rich running?). Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

I don't know the compression numbers and I've not done a leakdown since putting on the new head. I'm considering taking it in to have a new leakdown done next week. And thanks for the advice on how to get an accurate reading, I'll give that a shot this weekend and see what difference it makes. While I've got some people's attention, on top of the intake manifold there are two small points/needles sticking up that have little rubber "caps" on them, they're just on the intakes that lead to cylinders 1 and 4 and are about half way between the carb and the head. What are these?

Guest Anonymous

I think they may have been for emissions stuff. I have mine plugged since I removed all mine. Other than that I can't tell you anything...steve

Maybe. If you're burning that much on long trips, I agree.

If it's mostly stop- start and short trips, I wouldn't get too worried-

it'll burn more with the engine cold, usually... especially if your rings are

getting older.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL